Easy Vegetable Aloo Tikki Burger made with moist and flavorful Indian curried patty slathered with 1 minute killer burger sauce. Vegan with Gluten Free options.
We Indians sure love aloo tikki’s and adding it to the burger was the best idea ever. These easy Vegetable aloo tikki burgers tops my list of favorite vegetarian burgers. And these are dairy free and all VEGAN .
I remember eating this Aloo tikki burger at Mc Donalds in India for the very first time. And over the years I started making my own version at home . Needless to say way better than store bought and you are sure to save $$ . I am not kidding , try it for yourself and let me know.
So what is amazing about Carve Your Craving burger’s ?
Skip deep-frying ,the patties here are pan-fried and equally delicious.
Instead of keeping it all potatoes , I have added some veggies to it for extra nutrition and moistness kissed with warm Indian spices .
Instead of corn flour slurry , I have brushed flaxseed meal paste on each side of the patty (one more way to add flax in your diet J ) and then coated them in a mixture of panko bread crumbs and sesame seeds for a crispy exterior .
Look at the notes section for possible substitutions .
These patties taste amazing on their own . So if you wish to ditch the bread , just serve them as tikkis with a side of salad and this awesome dip.
Best part these tikki’s/ patties can be made ahead of time . Make these big fat flavorful burgers at home that will save you a lot of $$ .
How to freeze them
Semi cook them on each side and let it cool completely on a cooling rack . Pack each tikki with cling wrap and freeze lined up on a cookie sheet or flat tray in your freezer. Once firm and rock hard , after 4-6 hours, place them in a ziplock bag and write the date details. Keeps well in the freezer for 3 months.
How to thaw .
Thaw overnight in the fridge or 40 minutes prior to frying. Pan fry on low – medium heat , each side will take about 5 -7 minutes. Alternatively bake it in a pre heated oven at 400 deg F/ 195 deg C .Line it on a parchment paper or greased foil .Bake it for 20-25 minutes flipping mid way . Or until golden brown on both sides.
We love these burgers because they are –
Moist & spicy
Perfect for parties
Make ahead of time
Have Gluten free options
I could photograph this all day long but my son couldn’t wait to have it. Yum yum!!!
- For the patties
- 1 kg potatoes / 6 medium sized potatoes, boiled and peeled
- ½ cup steamed sweet corn
- ½ cup steamed peas
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup or more bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Spices needed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder / paprika
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 finely chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala/ curry powder
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon amchoor powder / dry mango powder*
- Fistful of finely chopped cilantro *
- For coating the patties
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs *
- 2 tablespoon white sesame seeds*
- 2 tablespoon black sesame seeds*
- 2 tablespoon Flaxseed meal
- 8 tablespoon warm water
- For assembling
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onions
- Torn lettuce/ greens
- The killer burger sauce- recipe link below
- Making the patties/ tikkis.
- In a big bowl smash the potatoes .
- To the smashed potatoes add all the spices called for except cilantro.
- Warm up the oil in a non stick broad pan. Once warm add in the ginger garlic and chili paste .
- Cook for 10 seconds. Add in the smashed potatoes and mix well .
- Switch off the flame and add in the grated carrots, steamed corn and peas .
- Mix everything well .
- Put the mixture in the big bowl again carefully an let it cool a bit if warm.
- Now add in the bread crumbs as needed to bind .
- Taste test and adjust seasoning.
- Make the coating slurry
- Add the flaxseed meal in warm water , mix it well and let it stand for 10 minutes to gel up.
- Meantime heat a non stick skillet on medium heat.
- Make tikkis by rolling between your hand and flattening.
- Brush or apply the flaxseed meal slurry on both sides of patty then place it in the crumb sesame bowl and coat on both sides.
- Brush some oil on the pan and cook the patty on both sides until crisp and golden brown.
- Season the veggies with some salt and pepper. Keep aside.
- Warm up the burger buns on both sides .
- Spread a thin layer of burger sauce on bottom bread.
- Place lettuce , tomato slice.
- Top it with warm tikki/patty .
- Scoop a generous amount of sauce on the patty, place an onion and then the top burger bun.
- Insert a tooth pick if desired , serve warm.
- You may even slice it in two and serve.
You can bake the patties instead of frying on a skillet.
I have made aloo tikki's that are 3.5 inches wide and 1 " tall .
You can easily increase or decrease the recipe as per your requirement .
Make ahead of time and freezing options mentioned above.
Use zucchini instead of carrots and it's still delicious.
Instead of flax meal slurry you can use cornflour plus all purpose flour slurry.
Use store bought or homemade dry roasted bread crumbs for amazing crunch .
Skip sesame seeds if unavailable.
Use spices according to your spice level.
These burgers are 4 on 5 spice level. 5 being hottest.
Use herbs of your choice, mint goes well instead of cilantro.
Add 1-2 teaspoon cornflour if the mixture doesn't bind.
If catering to a large crowd , assemble the burger bread and tikkis warm in the oven at 200 deg F / 100 deg C for 1 hour. Assemble veggies and sauce just before serving .
For Gluten -Free simply use gluten free bread crumbs or 2 tablespoon of cornflour for binding the patties.
Recipe for 3 ingredient killer vegan burger sauce here.
Pin this for later .
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Do leave me your valuable comments and suggestions below . You can even leave me a message on my Facebook page Carveyourcraving.
Did you know that Pinterest has an exciting new feature . The “Tried it” button that lets you check off recipes that you have tried and leave your reviews. You can leave a special note or add your valuable tip for other readers as well. All you have to do is log into your Pinterest account . You will find a check mark on the top of every recipe or project that you have pinned . Check the ones you are done with and leave a review if desired ?
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.
Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder.
Are we friends yet . Let’s connect on-
Do share it with the world!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.