Creamy Broccoli cauliflower soup or you can call it as healthy cream of broccoli soup tastes luxurious in every sip. With only 47 calories and 7 grams carb per serving this guilt free soup is a current family favorite . Kid approved, toddler approved , husband approved , you guys!!! I am so happy to share this yummy soup recipe today! Apart from being healthy this easy soup recipe is VEGAN , PALEO , Whole 30 GLUTEN-FREE too.
What’s with broccoli?? Like really what is the deal. Why do kids have to hate it so much ☹ As if nature has casted it’s spell. Imagine nature speaking to you “ Broccoli is a super food .. hahaha but it won’t come easily to you… hahaha!!! “ . Chill Khushboo chill we will make it work!
My older one started liking broccoli after he turned 6. My little one just turned 13 months old. And the struggle to feed him whole foods especially vegetables continues. He is slowly getting used to more chunky food. He totally loves avocados, steamed sweet potatoes, thinly sliced cucumber. But somehow doesn’t like the texture of broccoli or cauliflower yet.
But the mom in me isn’t giving up yet. I like to sneak veggies in food they love . Be it my kid’s favorite pasta recipe or savory pancakes or even their favorite burger . Everything is deceptively loaded with veggies 😉 I started making this nutritious and super creamy broccoli cauliflower soup and my kids are eating it without any fuss.
This soup recipe is Oil-Free . But I add a teaspoon of olive oil for my kids just before serving.
Why do I stress on Broccoli Consumption?
Broccoli is SUPERFOOD rich in iron , Vitamins and minerals mainly Vitamin C. It has more protein than most other vegetables.
This cruciferous vegetable is a boon to include in a vegetarian or a vegan diet especially when we mainly depend on plant based food for all the nutrition . Broccoli is high in fiber and low in carb.
It is so easy to include broccoli in your diet. If you do not like it raw or slightly steamed then try it in stir fry’s or soups.
Benefits of broccoli
As broccoli is high in fiber and low in carb it is a great to include it in everyday meals.
Broccoli can aid weight loss .
It is great to maintain sugar levels and lower cholesterol.
Being high in fiber , broccoli improves digestion too .
This delicious green soup is made without any milk , heavy cream , butter or cheese. Yes this Broccoli soup is completely dairy free making it a Vegan delight . I promise you won’t miss any cream in this soup!!! Moreover this broccoli soup doesn’t have any added flour ( roux) to make it creamy that makes it gluten-free too.
My secret to making this broccoli soup without cream super creamy is a combination of cauliflower and Almond Flour. Guys!! This combination is truly magical . If you have nut allergy then I have a substitute for Almonds mentioned in the recipe notes.
Why do I love Cauliflower so much –
For a long time now I have been a fan of Cauliflower. Cauliflower has gained lot of importance in recent years because it’s very versatile and low in carbs . Like broccoli it is high in fiber and vitamins too. Cauliflower rice has taken the internet by a storm and recently this guilt free cauliflower cream sauce.
While I am not a big fan of cauliflower rice ( Sorry I love my white rice as is ) but I am swooned by how cauliflower can turn anything calling for cream , creamy. It seriously works like a charm. Since I started using cauliflower instead of cream in my savory recipes I have hardly used heavy cream.
What I love about cauliflower cream is that it has no overpowering taste of its own. It’s like a blank canvas and camouflage pretty well in whatever you add it to. I strongly recommend you trying my Vegan Alfredo sauce too.
What to serve with this Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower soup ?
You can have bowl or two for lunch or dinner with some steamed broccoli as topping. Or serve it with some crusty bread or a side of salad .
This soup makes a great snack for those mid day hunger pangs.
We love this Broccoli soup because it’s –
Creamy without cream.
Great for babies, toddlers, kids and adults .
Vegan and Gluten Free.
Light on the tummy .
Packed with nutrients.
How to make amazingly Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower soup –
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup ( Low Carb , Low Calorie Vegan Soup)
I have used my Instant Pot 6 Qt Duo to make this soup. Feel free to make it in any other pressure cooker, crock pot or in a Pot on the stovetop.
- 6 cloves garlic / 1 tablespoon minced
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoon Almond Flour see notes for substitute
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups or more chilled water
- 1 cinnamon stick *
- 1 bay leaf *
- Freshly grated nutmeg *
- 2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard optional
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Chili flakes optional
- Handful Steamed broccoli on top Steamed in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Switch on the Instant Pot on Sauté mode.
- Add in Onion, some salt and 2 tablespoon or more water. Stir for a minute until the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Cancel Sauté mode.
- Now add in 1 cup water.
- Add in bay leaf, cinnamon stick, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard, salt to taste.
- Press MANUAL HIGH 2 MINUTES.
- Make sure the black knob is on SEALING position.
- Once the IP beeps, place a dish towel on the knob and slowly with a spoon perform Quick Release i.e move it to venting.
- Once the Silver pin drops it is safe to open up the Instant Pot.
- With the help of two dish cloths lift the inner pot and place it on a pot holder to cool down.
- Add in 1.5 cups of chilled water initially.
- Discard the cinnamon and bay leaf before blending the mixture.
- Add the cooled mixture to the blender with almond flour.
- I blend the mixture in intervals making sure you do not overfill the blender.
- Add more water or stock for desired consistency and blend until smooth.
- Again, place the mixture in the pot.
- Add in pepper and nutmeg.
- Press sauté mode and let it come to a simmer. Stirring occasionally .
- You may loosely cover it with an external lid if it tends to splatter.
- Give it a taste run and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- The soup will thicken more as it cools.
For making on stovetop .
- Follow the instructions as given above and cook until the broccoli and cauliflower are tender. May take 10-15 minutes. The let the mixture cool. Blend and return to the pot to cook as menttioned above.
Almond Flour substitutes –Just skip it completely. Add water accordingly to reach desired consistency. Use 2 tablespoon raw cashews instead of Almond flour. Throw it in the pot with all ingredients and let it soften. Use 1 small white potato instead of Almond flour. Spices enhance taste of the soup. I have used cinnamon, bay leaf and nutmeg. Add Spices to your preference. Chilled water is used to bring down the cooking process of the broccoli and process it as soon as it cools down in a blender. Cold water will help retain the lovely green color of the soup too. You may use veg stock or vegetarian better than bullion too. If Paleo then make sure you use Paleo mustard . Skip mustard for Whole 30 diet.
Other Broccoli / Cauliflower recipe that you will love -Broccoli Asparagus soup 10 minute Broccoli tofu stir fry Life changing healthy Alfredo sauce .
Saint Patrick’s Day is around the corner!!! It’s a good reason to make this green soup recipe soon!
Pin this recipe for later reference-
Hope you like this easy recipe on how to make Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower soup and give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions below in the comment section. Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog. Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder. Carveyourcraving(at)gmail(dot)com .
Happy cooking!!!Do share it with the world!!!Thanks for stopping by!!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.