I have been dreaming about mangoes for sometime now , so how about this lovely and simple eggless tea time cake – Chocolate mango cake with almond crunch which can be easily made vegan. Truly speaking you can eat it any time of the day or night , it’s that good!!
In United States we do get mangoes, Mexican one’s but they aren’t even close to the Indian one’s . But now we are kind of used to them . I like to include fresh local produce in our day to day life hence Indian mangoes or not we enjoy them to the core. And when mangoes aren’t in season and you still crave them , you can use the tinned one’s . This means you can enjoy this cake 365 days.
I have been getting lot of requests for easy mango cake from my reader’s from India . This post is absolutely not a planned one but one of the best ones from my archives . I was browsing previously recorded recipes sitting on my laptop and found this gorgeous moist yellow cake with hint of chocolate and almonds gazing at me . And I thought why not share it sooner , so that you start making and enjoy it with the very first batch of mangoes you buy.
The pictures aren’t that great , it’s a good example how I sucked at photography before blogging. It’s amazing that I have always concentrated on making food and never thought of clicking nice pictures . But my friend , it’s the yummiest mango cake ever. I had posted this last year when I wasn’t a blogger but shared recipes on various facebook groups . Not only me , many of my reader’s have enjoyed and vouched for it . I just can’t wait to make it again .
This recipe is absolutely forgiving and sweetness and consistency can be adjusted to your taste.
As it is a previously recorded recipe , I do not have the measures in grams yet. It’s measured using baking standard cups and spoons . But I promise to update the weight measures soon.
What is this moist fruity cake made of ?
Mangoes of course . I have used mexican mangoes so it has just light fresh fruity mango flavor.
The top is rich chocolate batter – wasn’t planned . Chocolate layer was a last minute thing , as my son loves anything chocolaty .He walked into the kitchen while I was prepping up the cake and insisted on a chocolate one , so just topped a thin layer with chocolate batter . And I am glad I did . I thought chocolate & strawberry is the only combination to die for . I was wrong , mango + chocolate is killer too.
Topped with some toasted slivered almonds .
Overall this cake is absolutely rich and gets finished in no time.
The best part is it doesn’t requires frosting and tastes great warm – right out of the oven or chilled – right out of the fridge.
I am not responsible if your family polishes the cake before you can even taste it. Be prepared to make many more and save some for yourself 🙂
Given below is the recipe followed by substitutes and tips . Further queries are welcome in the comment section.
Eggless mango chocolate cake with almond crunch
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour / maida
- 1 ¼ cups aamras/ mango puree *
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar – u can use upto ¾ cup sugar if mangoes aren’t sweet
- ½ cup oil /melted butter
- 1/3rd cup milk at room temperature
- For chocolate layer topping
- ¼ cup chocochips
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoon prepared cake batter
- ¼ cup sliced almonds or nuts of your choice
- Pre heat oven to 180 deg c or 350 deg f for 15 mins
- Prepare the loaf tin by greasing it with oil and dusting with flour.
- Line up with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate with milk in microwave on 50%power or on double boiler , stir until smooth and melted.Keep it aside.
- Sieve dry ingredients in a bowl .
- Mix all liquids/wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry one's.
- Whip it until smooth and no lumps ,approx. 30 secs ,don’t overmix
- Take 3-4 tbsp cake batter and mix with melted chocolate well ,keep aside.
- Pour the prepared mango cake batter in the tin top with chocolate cake batter and spread lightly .
- Gently tap the pan on the kitchen counter , top with nuts .
- Bake on middle rack for 40-55 mins . Mine was done at 48 mins.
- Insert toothpick at 42 minute mark and check or bake more until the toothpick comes out clean. Take the pan out of the oven .
- Let it cool down in the pan for 10 mins then invert on cooling rack.
- Let it cool completely before slicing .
- Enjoy warm or chilled.
Use fresh or store bought mango puree.
Vegans sub sugar for raw sugar
Vegans sub chocochips and milk for vegan chocochips and almond or soy milk.
I have used oil for more moistness
You can run a fork to give marble effect all over the cake .
Chocolate topping is optional .
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me on Pinterest .
We are now on instagram too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.