If you are looking for everyday meal ideas then this Instant Pot Moth bean recipe will surly make rounds on your dinner table. Make this protein rich curry at home and serve it alongside hot phulkas or rice. Either ways it is very comforting and filling. The easiest way to cook Moth bean is to pressure cook it. You can use a traditional stove top pressure cooker or the new age Instant Pot to make moth beans.
As you see in the picture below Moth beans are tiny little brown beans. They look similar to mung beans. The difference between moth and mung bean is that latter is green in color plus the taste differs a bit. Moth bean is also know by matki bean, mat bean,Turkish gram or dew bean. Sprouted moth bean also known as sprouted matki bean is very nutritious too. I will soon share a tasty recipe on it.
Moth bean nutrition and health benefits –
It rich in Iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, potassium and Vitamin B9.
Moth/ Matki beans are a good source of protein as well.
Moth beans are a great change from chickpea or black beans too.
Moth beans are are great for muscle building and makes bones stronger.
As these beans are protein rich, it keeps you full for a longer time which helps weight loss.
Moth bean is full of zinc that promotes immunity.
Hailing from a Rajasthani family we eat lot of lentils and beans on a every day basis. If dal is on the menu today then beans will be tomorrow. Being vegetarians we highly depend on pulses for our daily protein intake.
Today I am sharing two traditional Marwari recipe using moth beans. One is dry moth bean masala (sukhe moth) and other is moth bean kadhi. Both of these recipes are mostly made and served together with roti and rice. You can choose to make both or any one of this sabji.
This Instant Pot Moth bean curry is Gluten free but not Vegan. This isn’t completely plant based diet as yogurt is used to make the kadhi. However if you are vegan then you may substitute dairy yogurt for coconut yogurt and use your choice of cooking oil instead of ghee.
As our auspicious Jain Festival Paryushan is going on I made this matki recipe without any greens, onion or garlic. It’s a Jain recipe perfect to make on tithis like Aatham & Chaudas too.
Some FAQ’s about Moth bean / Matki bean –
Can I make Moth bean without soaking ?
Yes of course. You just need to cook for a longer time in the pressure cooker. See recipe notes.
Is it necessary to pressure cook Moth bean ?
Yes or it will take hours to cook in an open pot with lot of baby sitting. Pressure cooker is a hands off process to cook beans.
Can I cook bean and rice together pot in pot method?
Rice cooks faster than beans. But you can cook both together only if you pre-soak the beans for few hours.
How to make Moth bean in Instant Pot ?
How to cook Moth bean / Matki in Instant Pot
- 1.5 cup dry Moth Beans/ Matki bean
- 3 cups water for cooking
For cooking rice pot in pot (Optional)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1.5 cup water
- Pinch of Salt to taste.
- There are couple of ways you can make moth bean in the Instant Pot.
- RInse Moth beans under cold water 3-4 times rubbing them gently between fingers. Drain water and fill fresh water.
- If pre soaking matki / moth bean then add double the water for soaking. Before cooking discard water and add fresh water with 1:2 Moth bean water ratio for cooking
- This will yield cooked moth bean which you can use as needed. ( Wont be watery or soupy).
- I like to cook Moth bean on High Pressure with black Knob on SEALING position and Natural pressure release.
- 1st option- Direct cooking the beans in the pot without soaking. ( Cook time – 15 minutes NPR)
- 2nd option - Direct cooking the beans in the pot with pre-soaking 1 hour. ( Cook time- 9 minutes NPR)
- 3rd option – Pot in pot method where you place a trivet with some water inside the pot. You will need another smaller size instant pot safe bowl where you will place the moth beans plus water to cook. I do this when I don’t want the Inner pot to get messy and intend to use it again for some other recipe. ( Cook time – 17 minutes NPR for un soaked beans and 12 minutes if soaked for 1 hour. )
- 4th option - If I intend to cook rice with the beans I prefer soaking the beans to match up the time with rice and do pot in pot method. That is I place the soaked beans directly in the inner pot with water. Then I put the long leg trivet inside the pot. On the trivet I place the rice bowl. (Pre soaked beans for 5-6 hours. Cook time – 4 minutes NPR) Soaking rice not needed.
- With the pot in pot method both the bean and rice are cooked in one shot.
- Choose the method that suits you the best.
Step by Step of how to make Moth bean Kadhi?
Moth bean kadhi
- ½ cup sour yogurt khatta dahi
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour besan
- 2.5 cups water or more if needed.
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric haldi
- 2 count cloves optional
- 3 peppercorns optional
- Salt to taste
For tempering (Tadka for Kadhi)
- ½ tablespoon Ghee
- Pinch of hing
- ½ teaspoon cumin jeera
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder lal mirch/ cayenne
- Dry or fresh curry leaves
- Refer above to step by step photo of making this kadhi.
- In a pot add yogurt and 1 cup water.
- Whisk until smooth with handheld whisk / wooden whisk or immersion blender.
- Switch on the gas on low heat.
- Once the yogurt is warm to touch (NOT HOT) . It will take a minute to warm up.
- Add in besan and whisk it until lump free.
- Now increase the temperature to medium heat.
- Add 1.5 more cups water and stir until combined.
- Add in the cloves, peppercorn, turmeric and salt.
- Let it cook on medium heat until a boil. Stir occasionally.
- The kadhi will start to thicken.
- Now reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the kadhi once it comes to the boil to avoid it to overflow.
- Now add in half of the cooked moth beans. (Other half is reserved to make sukhe moth ki subzi.)
- Let it simmer on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the tadka for kadhi.
- In a small pan / tempering pot add ghee.
- Once warm add in jeera and hing.
- Now add in lal mirch/ cayenne , curry leaves and immediately add in 2 tablespoons water.
- Add this tadka over the moth bean kadhi.
- Stir and let it cook for a minute.
- Give it a taste test and adjust consistency or seasoning of kadhi accordingly.
- Serve with steamed rice and rotis.
Sour yogurt is always preferred for kadhi. If unavailable you may add lemon juice or amchoor to make it sour.
If you are not observing Jain tithi use green chilies , fistful of chopped cilantro and fresh curry leaves for this recipe.
If you do not practice Jainism then you may blend yogurt , water and besan in a smooth paste and continue with the recipe ( no need to warm dahi first )
Kadhi thickens as it cools. Add more water to the kadhi if needed to adjust the consistency.
I prepare kadhi and tempering on the stove top simultaneously as the moth beans are being pressure cooked.
Can I make Vegan Kadhi?
Yes you can. I love coconut yogurt instead of dairy one.
Substitute ghee with your choice of oil.
Dry moth bean recipe given below.
How to make Dry Moth bean masala –
Moth bean dry sabji ( Rajathani style)
- Half quantity of the above cooked moth bean.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Pinch of hing
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder lal mirch
- ½ teaspoon kachri powder see notes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric haldi
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder dhania powder
- 2 tablespoon water
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan .
- Once hot add in cumin and hing.
- Now add in Moth bean, all spices and salt.
- Give it a quick stir and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and give a taste check.
- Adjust spices if needed.
Substitute it with ¼ teaspoon amchoor powder/ dry mango powder or freshly squeezed lemon at the end.
Pin this recipe for future reference-
I would love to hear from you. Love being here , don’t miss a single recipe. Subscribe now – it’s free and get every recipe in your inbox. Subscription box is on the home page and below every recipe post. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section or tag me @carveyourcraving on Instagram.
Happy cooking! Do share it with the world! Thanks for stopping by.
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVEYOURCRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.