Mango Panna Cotta with Keseriyan Sevai kheer – how does t sound?
yummy right .. and if you ask me how does it taste
my answer is “OUT OF THIS WORLD “
The Best fused dessert ever!!!
And easy as a PIE.
The story behind it:
It was a special weekend – YES my BIRTHDAY . As usual I had big plans to celebrate my birthday.. wanted to bake and decorate a cake for myself . But nothing ever goes as planned. I fell sick four days before my birthday and all the planning went down the drain. I was very upset. Thank God I was feeling a bit better on my birthday.
So thought cake nahi toh dessert hi sahi.
I didn’t wanna spend a lot of time in the kitchen on my birthday. The easiest that I could think of is kheer. My mom always made kheer for us on special occasions and we slurped it. So I thought why not make it too.
But there was one more problem , I have been craving panna cottas for quiet some time now . We don’t eat them at restaurants because of added gelatin. I always fancy panna cottas – oh!! They look so pretty . The way they are layered- quiet impressive . I just feel like digging right in. I was so confused what to make – panna cotta or kheer .. hmmmm
So what to do now…..
Gave it a thought and just went for it. I was so nervous because I had no clue how will the duo taste. Sometimes experimenting leads to bummers and that is the last thing I wanted on my birthday. But had to give it a shot, and hence comes this heavenly fusion.
Mouth melting mango panna cotta with nutty and creamy kheer ..aaah heaven !!! The duo was ready in less than an hour.. Chilled for an hour and served.
vegetarian – no gelatin
quick and easy
melt in mouth
fusion at its best
Do give it a try and send me your clicks on so that I can feature it on my facebook page – carveyourcraving .
BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!!!
pictures below shows the tilting and setting process
MANGO PANNA COTTA WITH SEVAI KHEER
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoon condensed milk*
- 1 cup mango purée*
- 1/2 teaspoon agar agar powder/ china grass
- 1/4 cup warm water
For making Kheer
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup vermecelli
- 3 -3.5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- Pinch of salt I love it - optional
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
- 2 Pinches of cardamom
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds pistachios or nuts of ur choice
- Extra nuts for garnish
- For mango panna cotta
- Dissolve agar powder in warm water .Let it stand for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile heat a nonstick pan .
- Add all other ingredients and let it come to a simmer stirring occasionally.
- taste test..then add the agar liquid .
- Whisk in till dissolved .Like for 3-4 mins on low heat .. Switch off the flame .
- Taste test..Strain the mixture and then pour in desired serving glass , bowls .
- The panna cotta will set when it cools down .
- After it cools down at room temp - approx after 30 mins . Transfer the glasses in the fridge to further set and chill .
- Top it with prepared kheer or any other complimenting dessert before serving .
- For Kheer
- Heat a heavy bottom nonstick saucepan
- Add ghee.
- Roast the vermecelli on low heat for 2 mins
- Simultaneously warm milk in microwave ( I do it to expedite the process) or use hot milk
- Once the sevai have browned a bit add the milk to the sevaiyan.
- Cook on medium heat. Let it come to a boil . Stir occasionally until reduced to half the quantity .
- Once it's come to a boil add condensed milk and salt and kesar. Cook for about 20 mins .
- Consistency should be thick buttermilk like as it will thicken more after cooling .
- Add cardamom powder and fold in nuts - cook for 10 mins more.
- Taste test .Done.
- Cool it till luke warm then transfer in the fridge to chill .
- Serve- enjoy!!
I have used condensed milk in panna cotta because the mangoes I used werent sweet enough. You can skip it or substitute with 1/4 cup sugar depending on the sweetness of the mangoes.
You can play around with the panna cotta look- set it horizontally too.
Agar agar is also know as china grass and is easily available in leading grocery stores, asian food stores and online. If using Agar Agar flakes then use 1 tablespoon flakes.
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me on Pinterest .
We are now on instagram too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.