Love biryani and pulav ? Then you will love this version of pulao , full on mumbaiya istyle – Mumbai tawa pulao vegan gluten free.
Mumbai tawa pulav is a popular street food found at all fast food restaurants or street stalls that serve pav bhaji in Mumbai .
Making biryani’s is a bit time consuming and if you are looking for a quick fix to your rice cravings , you will love this Mumbai tawa pulao.
It’s tangy , spicy and fuss free recipe.
If you have leftover steamed rice then this recipe comes together in a snap .
Serve it with some chilled raita and some papad and your meal is sorted.
Being a mumbaikar , I really miss the roadside food that you find in Mumbai . The sandwiches, vada pav and this yummy spicy tawa pulao . So when I crave some , simple , I make some 🙂
If you are from Mumbai and stay away from home , you will totally get what I mean. And if you are not a mumbaikar then you gotta give this pulao a try. And I must add , you won’t regret.
If you ever get a chance to visit Mumbai , do try it especially at juhu beach stalls and the very popular and my favorite Amar juice center .
What is so good about this pulao ?
In mumbai , this pulao is made on the same tawa as they make pav bhaji .
Some quick tangy buttery bhaji (assorted veggies) along with the pav bhaji masala plus rice makes up this delish dish.
Food color is added at a restaurant , but I haven’t added any.
I have made it in a large non stick pan instead of tawa.
Resulting into a quick filling meal.
And the best part – yummy way to consume all the veggies.
Mumbai tawa pulao vegan gluten free
- 4 cups boiled and cooled rice *
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 tablespoon water
- 4 -5 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3-4 grated garlic
- 1 carrot diced /chopped
- 1 /2 cup chopped bell pepper
- ½ cup green peas boiled /steamed *
- 1 tablespoon red chilly powder
- 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- Salt to taste
- Good squeeze of fresh lemon
- Fistful of fresh coriander chopped
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy bottom non stick pan
- Add the onion and sauté till lightly browned.
- Add grated garlic and carrots.
- Saute until carrots are a bit tender.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Sauté till tomatoes become tender.
- Add in the chopped bell peppers
- Add pav bhaji masala, red chilly powder .
- Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water if needed.
- Add in steamed / boiled green peas . Cook for a minute.
- Add the rice and give it a nice mix until the masala is coated well.
- Taste test and add lemon juice .
- Adjust seasoning as per your preference if needed.
- Cook the rice for 2 more minutes.
- Fold in some chopped cilantro .
- Serve hot with a side of chilled cucumber raita and some papad .
Leftover boiled rice works great.
The spice level of this recipe is 4 on 5 . 1 being mild and 5 being spiciest .
Adjust spices to your preference.
If using peas from the freezer , just steam it in the microwave for a minute and use.
Hope you like this Mumbai tawa pulao vegan gluten free recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me on Pinterest .
We are now on instagram too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.
Looks delicious!! One of my Favorite rice dish. 🙂
Thank you! I love it too.
Easy quick and delicious recipe. It’s on our weekly menu now. Thank you . Turns perfect everytime.
Wow , that’s nice . You are welcome Amrita .