I do not have a fixed menu chalked out for a week . Believe me I have tried being organised and making plans of what to make for every meal each day but it is always a flop show. Whatever I cook depends on available grocery with me and a lot depends on everyone’s mood. Somehow I am able to sneak in soup at least twice a week for dinner . Sometimes it’s wholesome meal on it’s own and other times it is a light accompaniment. And in winter’s I do not even need a reason to make soup. Yesterday’s dinner was wholesome southwest chipotle soup with added greens (vegan and gluten free) – a mexican cuisine inspired soup . A nourishing one pot meal for your entire family . Blogging about this soup wasn’t on the list yet as I do not prefer clicking pictures under tube light. But it is absolutely yum and nourishing . I had already made it twice this week so thought why not share it. I really need some lessons on photography under artificial light – that has been on my list forever since I have begun blogging.
What is this southwest chipotle soup made of ?
It comprises of various textures and tastes .The base is made up of home made vegetable stock and fresh juicy tomatoes .Variety of veggies and greens makes it more nourishing and appetizing. I have used carrots , zucchini , celery, sweet corn , some kale and spinach which have benefits in abundance .For added protein I have used black beans. Chipotle peppers gives it a great spicy kick making it soothing for this cold weather. Added in some mexican spices , lemon and herbs . Finally topped it with utterly butterly delicious avocados for some good fats and fiber and some fresh fragrant cilantro .
This soup is extremely customizable. Best way to use leftover veggies lurking in your fridge. Just add everything to a pot and forget about it for 30 minutes. A delicious meal is ready to be slurped on.
This soup is vegan as well as gluten free if you skip the tortilla strips .
Be sure to check notes for link to make easy vegetable stock at home and possible substitutes for soup ingredients.
Make ahead of time
Like other soups , this soup freezes beautifully minus the avocados so do not forget to make some extra. It makes a great lunch at office or a small bowl makes a great snack .
One pot meal
Filling and nourishing
Makes great lunch boxes.
southwest chipotle soup with added greens (vegan and gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon canola / veg / cooking olive oil
- 3-4 medium size tomatoes pureed *
- 5-6 cups homemade vegetable stock or store bought*
- 1 tablespoon/ 4 cloves fresh garlic grated *
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 2 cups loosely packed chopped kale
- 2 cups loosely packed chopped spinach
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1.5 cups or 1 can cooked black beans *
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce crushed *
- 1 teaspoon grounded cumin / jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano *
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- For topping
- Fistful of fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado diced *
- Sprinkle of Tortilla strips *
- Heat up oil in a large pot. Once warm , add garlic and sauté it for 10 seconds . Now add in the carrots . Cook them for 30 seconds. Now add in the tomato puree and vegetable broth. Let it come to a simmer . Now add in zucchini, crushed chilly, spices , salt and pepper . Simmer the soup on medium low heat for 10 minutes . Now add in the beans , sweet corn and simmer for 10 minutes and towards the last 5 minutes add chopped greens . Taste test and adjust the seasoning. Switch off the flame and squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and top it with generous amount of chopped fresh cilantro. Just before serving top it with diced avocados and tortilla strips if desired .
I love this soup broth like , you can reduce water by simmering it more for very thick soup.
Substitute chipotle peppers for chilly powder or if you do not prefer the spice just skip it.
Substitute kale and spinach with desired greens.
Other veggies that goes well in this soup are diced pumpkin , cauliflower , broccoli , peas , edamame , onions , peppers , eggplant
Substitute black beans for any other dried beans like chickpeas , rajma , black eye peas.
You can make it more fuller by adding grains like quinoa , bulgur , barley or brown rice.
Gluten free- skip tortilla strips topping or substitute it with gluten free tortilla chips .
For folks who do not consume garlic – simply skip it .
Recipe of homemade vegetable stock for soup – click here.
You might like these recipes too
Homestyle tortilla soup with cashew maple drizzle.
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me on Pinterest .
We are now on instagram too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.
comments and suggestions are welcome