One of the quickest and our house favorite subzi – Sukhi aloo subzi/ dry potato veggie.
The best part of this subzi is -aloooooo – lol I am a big potato fan
Jokes apart this subzi is extremely versatile and can be made in a jiffy especially when you don’t have any greens stocked up.
This is a request month , and i have got lot of requests for daily meal ideas – something that is versatile and easy to make . So I thought aloo subzi is an ideal candidate for this post.
Do not forget to check out the healthy mix dal masala dosa recipe – no rice , no fermentation needed .
Have this for breakfast , lunch or dinner – its very satisfying and appetizing .
Its the best subzi to carry during travel / holiday too .
Perfect for lunch boxes.
The most evergreen combination is ras poori and sukhi aloo subzi.
Let me tell you how versatile it is –
have it with a side of roti / paratha/ poori / thepla / naan
Stuff it in a bread and make simple or toast sandwiches
use as stiffing in tortilla wraps
make your favorite aloo parathas with this subzi as filling.
mash it and make tikkis or bondas / wadas
put it on papri , drizzle some yogurt and chutney and you have a yummy chaat
stuff it in pizza dough and make masala buns
best and the most favorite filling for dosas – Masala dosas
Make masala uttapams / stuffed idlis
or just have it on its own .
Most of you must be surly making it , but if you haven’t tried it yet Please do – you have enough reasons to try it out
Following is step by step recipe for the versatile sukhi aloo subzi-
Heat oil in a pan on medium low heat , when warm – add urad dal and sautee it until light brown
Now add mustard and cumin .
Add chopped onions and ginger, garlic , chilly paste , salt . Cook onions for a minute
Now add turmeric powder and amchoor powder .
Mix everything well until well coated
Now add boiled chopped potatoes
Give a quick mix .Add more salt if needed
If the subzi feels dry , add in 1/4 cu water, mix well and cook for 2 minutes
Now add lots of chopped corriander
Taste test . Its done.
Sukhi Aloo Subzi
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 big onion / approx. 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 medium size boiled potatoes / approx. 3 cups chopped boiled potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon jeera/ cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder/ haldi
- 1 teaspoon dhaniya powder optional
- 1 teaspoon rai/ mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste / freshly grated
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste/ freshly grated
- 2 teaspoon green chilly paste / finely chopped adjust to your spice level
- ½ teaspoon amchoor powder optional *
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves .
- Heat oil in a non stick pan
- Once hot , add urad dal and sautee it for a minute or until golden brown in color.
- Now add hing, cumin and mustard seeds .
- Add ginger ,garlic , chilly paste ,onions and some salt.
- Sautee it until onions are translucent , approx. 1 minute
- Add turmeric powder, amchoor powder and coat the onions well .
- Now add chopped potatoes to the pan and ¼ cup water .
- Mash potatoes roughly with the back of the spoon to create masala and mix it well . Cook for a minute. Add more salt if desired.
- Taste test and adjust seasoning. Switch off the flame.
- Add chopped coriander and mix the aloo masala well.
- Its done .