This Triple chocolate kalakand recipe takes an ordinary kalakand recipe to a new level altogether . Three layers of deliciousness that comes together in minutes . The secret of this quick and easy kalakand recipe is using ricotta cheese , condensed milk and a microwave . Adding layers of chocolate just makes it better or I should say the best!
Kalakand also known as a milk cake is a traditional Indian sweet loved by everyone. Triple chocolate Kalakand is my modern and more decadent take on the classic recipe.
India is a diverse nation and its diversity is reflected in variety of foods every state has to offer. Every Indian state is known for its own set of traditional sweets . But Kalakand is one of the few sweets which is relished by one and all.
If you are not well versed with Kalakand let me brief you here a bit-
What is Kalakand ?
Its made with 3 simple and main ingredients – milk, paneer and sugar and infused with cardamom and topped with nuts for extra richness. Traditional way of making kalakand is quiet time consuming – its done by continuously stiring and cooking the ingredients until reduced considerably, then setting it up in a pan for few hours and served chilled.
What am I doing different
I am making microwave version of kalakand saving you from stirring the mixture frequently.
Variation in ingredients to accelerate the process
Its an instant and easier version – but the taste is still intact
Addition of Chocolate makes it all the more irresistible
How does triple chocolate kalakand taste
It has grainy and moist texture
The top layer is more fudgy and chocolaty. I bet you can’t eat just one.
Kalakand makes me nostalgic. I have grown up eating this yummy sweet. We never need a reason or a occasion to have kalakand . Whenever cravings struck my Dad used to get it for us from the sweet shop.
One of the disadvantages of being away from home country is that we badly miss the yummy desi food including desserts. So I keep on trying things at home to satisfy our cravings.
I am making instant version of Kalakand for few years now . This is the first time I have added chocolate to it . It was an experiment with a sweet success. I am very happy with the results. Needless to say didn’t last more than 2 days. I am so glad to share this decadent triple chocolate kalakand recipe with you.
I shared this instant version with my mom and she totally fell in love with it.
It can be made in microwave and on the stove top too.
Please refer to the notes for substitutions and alternate method.
This time I am using microwave method.
Quick and easy
Soft and moist
Rich and chocolaty
Given below is step by step instructions on how to make kalakand in a microwave
Squeeze as much water as you can by placing ricotta in a muslin / cheese cloth – this will expedite the process. Add condensed milk and milk powder to the ricotta cheese.
Mix everything well until smooth and lumpfree.
Microwave in a big microwave safe glass bowl with microwave safe lid ( you can use any microwave safe plate too to cover the bowl. Cover the lid loosely , do not cover it tight.
Pictures below show you how ricotta starts getting reduced after microwaving in intervals .Stir the kalakand mixture in between – like every 3 minutes.
The picture below shows the reduced consistency – microwave till you don’t see any liquid and the kalakand comes together – but not very dry , consistency of thick spreadable paste.
Now divide it into 3 equal parts . To the first part – Add melted milk chocolate and cardamom powder.
Second part – Add cocoa powder and melted semi sweet chocolate . To the third part – Add only semi sweet chocolate / dark chocolate and vanilla essence .Mix well until combined.
Lightly grease a pan or a plate – scoop in first layer . Pat it down and level gently .
Layer it with the cocoa batter.
Level and smooth it well.
If you are using a plate to set it , cover with cling wrap and let it set for 15-20 mins in the fridge.
Garnish as desired. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Slice it up . Serve chilled.
Triple Chocolate Kalakand Recipe –
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE ? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe below to rate!!!
triple chocolate kalakand
- 3 1/2 cups full Ricotta Cheese/ fresh grated paneer 750 gms approx
- 1/4 cup milk powder
- 1 can 14 oz Condensed Milk
- Pinch of salt optional
For white layer
- ¼ cup grated white chocolate
- 2 pinches Cardamom Powder
For middle layer
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder dissolved in 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tablespoon fine sugar / icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon semi sweet grated chocolate
For the top fudgy layer
- ½ cup semi – sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp melted butter
- Drop of vanilla essence
- ¼ cup Chopped/ sliced assorted nuts I have used almonds, pistachios and raisins
- Squeeze out as much water as you can from ricotta by placing it in a cheesecloth. This will expedite the process. If you don't have cheesecloth/muslin skip this step, just microwave longer.
- Put ricotta into a big microwave safe bowl preferably glass bowl as it will be getting hot during the process.
- Add condensed milk, milk powder to Ricotta/paneer, pinch of salt and mix well until its lump free and smooth .Yes the texture will be grainy .
- Microwave on high uncovered for 5 minutes. Take it out carefully with the help of kitchen cloth/ mittens . Give it a nice stir and make sure you scrape the edges too.
- Now microwave again for 3 minutes , loosely covered .
- Take it out, give it a stir, loosen the edges too
- Microwave for another 3 minutes , take it out and stir well
- Follow this procedure 2-3 times more until there isn't any liquid remaining and the ricotta has come together well like a thick paste.
- Take it out of the microwave and immediately divide it into 3 parts in three separate bowls.
- The idea is to work quickly before the kalakand cools down so that the chocolate melts well or you can melt chocolate before adding to the bowls.
- Add chocolate to all the three bowls respectively at the same time i.e white chocolate for white layer, 1/2 cup chocolate for the fudgy layer , and 1 tbsp chocolate for middle cocoa layer.
Start with the fudgy layer.
- Add the 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate, melted butter and vanilla essence to one bowl . Mix well until chocolate has melted.
For White layer
- Add white chocolate and cardamom in one bowl .
For middle layer
- Add the cocoa paste, semi sweet chocolate , sugar if needed in the third bowl and mix well until the chocolate is melted.
- If you think chocolate isn't melting.. just pop the respective bowl in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Taste test mixture of all three layers carefully.
- Now grease the desired pan or a plate
- Let the mixture cool down a bit say 5 mins if its too hot to handle.
- Scoop and spread the first layer, press it down gently
- then top it with cocoa layer
- cover it with cling wrap - refrigerate it for 5 minutes.
- Take it out , now top it with the third layer.
- Garnish with sliced nuts and press them down gently .
- Cover it with cling wrap or lid .
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Every microwave is different so the cooking time may vary.
You can skip the white chocolate part if you don’t have it .
Skip milk powder if you don’t have it .
Please handle the bowl with care – as it will get really hot during the process of microwaving -use kitchen cloth or mittens
If chocolate doesn't melt , re heat the bowl in microwave at 10 seconds interval.
If you don't have a microwave you can make it in heavy bottom non stick pan on a stove top too over low -medium flame , stirring continuously until the mixture comes together and leaves the sides of the pan.
Hope you like this easy recipe on how to make kalakand in a microwave with three delicious layers and give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions below in the comment section. Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder. Carveyourcraving(at)gmail(dot)com .
Happy cooking!!!Do share it with the world!!!Thanks for stopping by!!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.