Not in a mood of baking and got 10 minutes preparation time only! No problem , you can still put up a gorgeous fuss free treat for your loved ones with these yummilicous chocolate loaded sinful desserts -Vegan easy chocolate waffles and pancakes made from scratch . Yes one recipe 2 ways . If you do not own a waffle maker then enjoy them as pancakes,both are equally delicious .
Today I am happy to share my all time favorite combination which includes a perfect eggless/ vegan waffles/ pancakes topped with homemade quick chocolate sauce, whipped cream and berries.
The only difference in the waffle and pancake batter is the consistency. Pancakes require quiet thick batter like idly batter and waffles batter is like cake / dosa batter.
This post has two versions of the same – vegetarian version and vegan version . Do not forget to go through the notes for tips and possible substitutions .
I have made some healthy swaps here . Used multigrain/wheat flour instead of all purpose flour.
Used olive oil instead of butter.
Lets talk waffles
Ok , so you can have them for breakfast, brunch , lunch , dinner , mid night snack – in short any time of the day or night.
How does it taste ?
Crispy on the outside and cake like from the inside . Rich and chocolaty in taste with moistness and tangy flavor given by olive oil and buttermilk . Eat it on it’s own or make it more fabulous by adding chocolate sauce, whipped cream and fruits. Each bite just makes you fall in love all over again.
Perfect single serving dessert if you do not wish to bake a big cake. I am posting an eggless version for waffles.
Let’s talk pancakes
Same as I have described waffles. But a vegan version and perfectly fluffy and melt in mouth. No one will believe they are vegan and do not have all purpose flour. Yes you heard it right , I successfully make them always using multi- grain flour or wheat flour. Absolutely fuss free no bake sinful dessert.
Did you have a look at the picture above, see the beautiful holes formed, now you can only imagine how light and fluffy these are . You need to quickly make them to experience the real taste:)
Both recipes mentioned below can be used interchangeably for waffles and pancakes.
Easy Chocolate pancakes (eggless) (vegan)
- 1 cup multigrain/ wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon olive oil / veg oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice/ vinegar
- ¼ cup raw sugar / granulated sugar *
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water / almond milk*
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract*
- 2 pinches salt
- Sift flour and cocoa powder, baking powder, salt in one bowl.
- Mix in sugar and water/ milk in another bowl until the granules have dissolved . Add in oil, vanilla , lemon juice.
- Now mix wet ingredients into dry ones and give it a quick mix until lump free. Do not overmix. Taste test and adjust sugar if needed.
- Heat a non stick skillet well. When the skillet is hot enough , pour ¼ cup approx. batter for each pancake. The batter will sizzle when poured and develop beautiful holes. This means the pan was hot enough and you will have fluffy pancakes. Now reduce the heat and let the pancakes cook on one side until a minute or so or until golden brown bottom . Then flip carefully and cook on another side for 30 seconds. Serve warm .
Easy Chocolate waffles (eggless) (vegan)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour *
- ½ cup multi grain/ wheat flour.
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup raw sugar/ granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon oil /melted butter
- 1 cup thick buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon or more additional water *
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre heat the waffle pan according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Sift dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Now add wet ingredients to dry ones. Mix until lump free but do not overmix. Taste test the batter.
- Pour in pre heated waffle maker and cook according to the waffle maker manual .
- Serve warm with desired toppings
Swap all purpose flour with wheat flour.
Quick chocolate sauce.
¼ cup semi sweet / dark chocolate chopped/ chocochips .
¼ cup whole milk / cream / coconut milk.
Mix both and microwave on 50 % power for 30-60 seconds stopping and stirring in between until the chocolate has melted.
Alternatively , this can be done using double boiler method.
You can use store-bought chocolate sauce too , but believe me this is so simple and good that you will skip store-bought.
Additional Important Notes-
As flour quality differs , add couple of tablespoon more water for pancakes and waffles to achieve desired consistency. Pancake requires thicker batter than waffles.
Do not overmix the batter as it will make final product gummy and chewy. Mix only few strokes until lump free.
For pancakes- Pour the batter when the skillet is hot. This is needed for fluffy pancakes. You will notice nice holes all over pancakes which result in fluffy ones, once you pour the reduce the heat on low and cook.
You can make pancakes in advance and re heat it for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Keep it warm by turning on your oven to 150 deg f /60 deg c and placing in an oven safe dish .
For waffles- follow instruction on your waffle maker.
Use desired/favorite toppings and sauce.
You can use all purpose flour /maida if desired .
You can skip vanilla essence and use preferred flavoring .
You can fold chopped fruits or choco chips or chopped nuts too in the batter.
I have used chopped strawberries and raspberries and store bought whipped cream topping.
Pin this for later.
Things I love using for this recipe –
I have used Cuisinart griddler with waffle attachment to make waffles and Vinod non stick pan to make pancakes .
I have used Aashirwad multi grain flour, hershy’s cocoa powder , sugar in raw and baker’s semi sweet chocolate.
This is the video I refered to the very first time I made them – click here for instructions on cuisnart waffle maker. Except pressing it with weight as shown in the video , I press it with hands for initial 1 minute .
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me on Pinterest .
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.