Have you tried Vegan Enchiladas Verdes yet? I love these red sauce enchiladas here. But if you looking for a change then give this green sauce enchiladas a try! This vegetarian enchilada recipe is for all you busy folks out there who want to put dinner on the table with minimum preparation time. I have some smart make ahead of time tips for you as well which makes enchiladas possible in a snap. These green sauce enchiladas are vegan and gluten free too.
What is Enchilada Verdes ?
Enchilada is a very popular Mexican casserole dish made with stuffing soft tortillas with vegetables, beans or meat , cheese . Every tortilla is filled , rolled and placed in a baking dish. These enchiladas are then covered with ethnic Mexican sauce, either Mole , Verdes or Suiza. Then Enchilada casserole is baked to perfection.
Verdes refers to green sauce that can be made two ways –
- Made by roasting or puree of green tomatillos and then blending it with green chilies and spices to make a smooth flavorful green sauce .
- Made with only green chilies ,spices, veg stock and using cornstarch as a thickener .
Good news is that you may buy a jar of ready made tomatillo sauce aka salsa verde or green chile enchilada sauce that are available in cans at the grocery stores. This will make the process of making enchiladas quick .
What is the Difference between Salsa Verde and Green Chile Enchilada Sauce ?
Salsa Verde is tangy because of the tomatoes where as green chile enchilada sauce is not .
Both are available in different spice levels like mild, medium and hot. Pick the one that suits your taste buds.
Ingredients of Vegan enchiladas with green sauce –
Enchilada is made up of 2 components –
For the filling I have used the classic vegetarian combination of jalapeno , onion ,spinach and mushrooms with lots of garlic. On the protein front I have used black beans too. This vegetarian enchilada filling has clean uncomplicated spices. I have used some cayenne and smoked paprika for heat and oregano , roasted ground cumin , cilantro for a great flavor. Of course salt and pepper is a must too.
For the sauce I have used store-bought mild salsa verde aka green roasted tomatillo sauce . To be specific I have used Archer’s Farm Roasted tomatillo salsa verde. It was chunky so I gave it a quick blitz in my blender for a smoother texture .
You may use a can of Green chile enchilada sauce too.
If you like red sauce enchiladas then I have a delicious homemade enchilada sauce recipe for you here. You may choose to use store-bought one too.
I had some vegan cheese waiting to be used so I have added a little in this recipe. Feel free to use more and your favorite one.
Truly speaking this casserole recipe is very forgiving and you can customize it to your taste .
Details about possible substitutes is mentioned in the notes section below the recipe.
Store bought tortillas and the sauce makes the process of making these enchiladas a breeze. You may always choose to use homemade from scratch stuff too 🙂
How to make enchiladas ?
Prepare the rolling station as shown in the photos above.
Pre heat the oven to 375 deg F .
If tortillas are cold and not pliable warm them on a skillet 5-10 seconds each side or in a microwave for 10 seconds.
This will avoid breaking of the tortillas while rolling.
Cover a 7*11 baking dish with tomatillo sauce on the base and sides.
Now lightly spread some tomatillo sauce on a tortilla as shown in the photo.
Place the filling in the center. Add some cheese if desired. Do not over fill.
Now roll the tortilla to form a cylinder.
Place the prepared enchiladas in the baking dish seam side down .
Repeat this process for other tortillas until the baking dish is filled.
Now spread more sauce over the top covering the tortillas.
Cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
If topping with cheese then after 25 minutes take out the foil and bake for additional 5 minutes until the cheese melts and bubbly.
Enjoy with some nachos on the side and desired toppings.
How to make Vegan Enchiladas Verdes ?
Vegan Enchilada Verdes
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 Portobello mushrooms or 12 small button mushrooms washed and cleaned.
- 7 cups packed spinach leaves
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic or 1 heaped tablespoon of garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Couple twists pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 cup dairy free cheese optional
- 1 can / 16oz / Homemade or store bought Roasted Tomatillo sauce / salsa verde mild
- Six count medium size tortillas , gluten free or of choice *
Additional toppings (Optional)
- Fresh salsa / Pico de Gallo
- Fistful of cilantro chopped
- Vegan sour cream
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Once warm add in the onions and some salt.
- Cook it until wilted and translucent . Approx 2 minutes.
- Now add in chopped garlic or garlic paste.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in mushrooms and increase the heat to medium high for a minute.
- Stir once or twice in between to avoid scorching at the bottom.
- Add in all the spices and salt that are called for.
- Now reduce the flame to medium low and continue cooking the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until they are wilted and tender.
- Add in the spinach in batches. Wait for the first half to wilt and then add another half.
- Continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Now add in the beans and cook for a minute more.
- Give it a taste check and adjust spices if needed.
- Let the mixture cool before proceeding with filling the enchiladas.
- Prepare the rolling station as shown in the photos above.
- Pre heat the oven to 375 deg F .
- If tortillas are cold and not pliable warm them on a skillet 5-10 seconds each side or in a microwave for 10 seconds.
- This will avoid breaking of the tortillas while rolling.
- Cover a 7*11 baking dish with tomatillo sauce on the base and sides.
- Now lightly spread some tomatillo sauce on a tortilla as shown in the photo.
- Place the filling in the center. Add some cheese if desired. Do not over fill.
- Now roll the tortilla to form a cylinder.
- Place the prepared enchiladas in the baking dish seam side down .
- Repeat this process for other tortillas until the baking dish is filled.
- Now spread more sauce over the top covering the tortillas.
- Cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- If topping with cheese then after 25 minutes take out the foil and bake for additional 5 minutes until the cheese melts and bubbly.
- Carefully take out the casserole with help of oven safe mittens .
- Place it on a cooling rack or hot food safe coaster.
- Enjoy with the toppings mentioned.
If you love your food with Mexican flavor these fusion recipes are calling your name –
Don’t forget to pin and share this Vegan Enchiladas Verdes recipe for future reference.
Hope you like this easy recipe on how to make Vegan Enchiladas Verdes and give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions below in the comment section. Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder. Carveyourcraving(at)gmail(dot)com .
Happy cooking!!!Do share it with the world!!!Thanks for stopping by!!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.