What do you do when you have some leftover rotis/tortillas . Use them in a delicious way you can which is quick and healthy to whip up. So this time it was vegan homestyle tortilla soup with spicy cashew maple drizzle. Sounds fancy ? It is , but simple one packed with bold flavors .
Soups are on our menu every second this season . It’s raining forever here and nothing can be more comforting than a bowl of piping hot soup.
I had few rotis left from lunch , so used it up for a quick filling dinner. I love using tortilla/ rotis many ways and today I am glad to share one of the delicious way I do it- in a soup.
It’s suitable for a baby as well as an adult. In short this soup is perfect for everyone.
And to make it more interesting , i made some spicy cashew maple drizzle and finished it off with some spring onions and croutons which is completely optional. I love soups and try to make it interesting every time trying new combinations and let me tell you when you try this vegan homestyle tortilla soup with spicy cashew maple drizzle will surely be a routine on your dinner table too.
What is this soup made of-
Simple ingredients and clean flavors packed with nutrition .
So whats the deal with the drizzle-
Cashew and maple syrup drizzle spiced with sriracha hot sauce .
Oh boy, you need to try it – its bold , it has a kick and balanced flavors . It leaves you wanting for more soup- slurp ,slurp!!
Truly speaking maple syrup wasn’t the part of the plan. It was just going to be siracha and cashews , but it turned a bit hot , so had to add some sweetness, hence maple syrup. And the taste was so perfect .
Read notes for possible substitutions.
bold and packed with flavors
vegan homestyle tortilla soup with spicy cashew maple drizzle
- for soup
- 3 tortillas
- 8 count / 700 grams carrots
- 1 large/ 250 grams sweet potato
- 1 medium sized / 50 grams onion
- 50 grams spring onions white part.
- 2 " knob/ 15 grams ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon cooking olive oil / avocado oil
- 2.5 cups low sodium vegetable stock/ water to cook the veggies.
For spicy cashew maple drizzle
- 10-12 cashews
- 1/4 cup warm water to soak cashews
- 1/4 cup fresh water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup *
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce *
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For making the soup in Instant Pot / pressure cooker
- Roughly break tortillas into small pieces.
- Wash and clean the carrots and roughly chop. Peel sweet potato and roughly dice.Dice up the onions.
- Switch on the IP on saute mode.
- Add in the oil . Once warm add in the onions and ginger . Saute for a minute.
- Add in all other veggies , stock and tortillas. Give it a quick stir.
- Cancel Saute mode. Place on the lid and valve on sealing position. Press Manual HIGH 4 minutes. Natural pressure release after 4 minutes (NPR) .or 2nd option - do 8 minutes HIGH and quick release carefully.
- After the pin falls down , carefully open the IP . Blend everything with an immersion blender or wait for it to cool down and blend in a blender pot.
- You can cook everything in a large pot over medium flame using 3 cups liquid until everything is tender.
- For the drizzle.
- Soak cashews in warm water for 10 - 15 minutes. Now discard the water and add fresh water .
- Now blend all ingredients until smooth , add more water to reach desired consistency if needed .
- Drizzle some right before serving the soup . Top it with your favorite add ons.
- I have used croutons and spring onions.
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Love being here , don’t miss a single recipe- Subscribe now – it’s free and get every recipe in your inbox.Subscription box is on the home page and below every recipe post.If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section or tag me @carveyourcraving on instagram.
Are we friends yet . Let’s connect on-
Happy cooking! Do share it with the world! Thanks for stopping by.
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.