Everyone’s favorite pasta tossed lightly in garlicky herb lemon butter sauce and studded with roasted vegetables. For once skip the sauce in the jar and try this Pasta Primavera recipe with all fresh elements.This may be the best summery pasta dish you will ever make.
We love pasta loaded with sauce like this Spaghetti Arrabbiata or this Vegan Creamy butternut squash sauce pasta here.
But it’s a good idea to change things up especially if your family loves pasta and wants something new time and again.
The best part is that this pasta primavera recipe is Vegan too. Dinner this summer can’t get better.
Roasted Vegetables is a great side dish. I can literally keep on eating it bowl after bowl. But I need my carbs sorry! Only vegetables do not fill me up. Adding pasta to the roasted vegetables instantly promotes it from a side dish to a substantial main.
Making this pasta recipe is much easier than you think. Ok yes it involves roasting vegetables that takes a bit more time in the oven but the entire process is hands free. All you have to do is chop the veggies , put them in the oven , set the timer and forget about it until it beeps. You can roast vegetables over the weekend and it will save you lot of time to put up a delicious meal on a week night.
What is Pasta Primavera?
Pasta Primavera is a light spring summer pasta dish that is tossed in butter or olive oil with loads of fresh vegetables. It’s further finished off with some parmesan cheese and basil.
What are we doing different here?
You guys it’s summer time. This is a perfect time to roast or grill anything. Roasted vegetables just adds more nutrition and yumminess to your pasta. The juices from the slow cooked vegetables during roasting especially the bursting sweet juicy tomatoes forms the sauce for the pasta.
A generous dollop of vegan butter with minced garlic , dried herbs , lemon zest and basil just takes this pasta to a fresh new level.
As our pasta recipe is Vegan instead of dairy Parmesan, I have topped it with a blend of ground walnuts and nutritional yeast. This is a great substitute for actual Parmesan.
Have you roasted vegetables before?
If not please try it. I love how vegetable taste after roasting. They are firm yet juicy and not mushy. Roasting process just makes the veggies taste so much better. A little drizzle of oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper is all you need to make the best roasted vegetables.
Vegetables used for roasting
I prefer cherry tomatoes to any other for roasting purposes. The reason being they are perfect bite size and after roasting they turn nice and sweet .
Other vegetables used-
Just make sure you chop everything almost the same size for even roasting.
Make ahead of time tip for making this pasta recipe –
You can roast vegetables in bulk , cool and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days in advance . This will save you a lot of time for weekday dinner preparation.
Cook pasta up to a day in advance. (Though I prefer freshly cooked pasta)
Make a big batch of vegan parmesan and store in an airtight container in the fridge. It lasts for a long time as all dry ingredients are used.
How to make Pasta Primavera with Roasted Vegetables –
Vegan Pasta Primavera with roasted vegetables
- 8oz uncooked pasta of choice 2 cups dry pasta
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter or of choice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil of choice
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- Lemon zest of one lemon see notes
- 1 big lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Italian Dried herb mix or of choice
Vegetables for roasting
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cutting into halves is optional
- 1 small carrot cut into discs
- 1 small zucchini approx. ½ cup chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2-4 Tablespoon Olive oil to coat vegetables for roasting
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fistful of fresh basil finely chopped or fresh herb of your choice
- Chili flakes optional
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 walnuts or cashews
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Roasting the vegetables
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place vegetables on baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well then roast until tender.
- It should take around 18-20 minutes.
Preparing vegan Parmesan
- In a small blender, food processor, grind walnuts, salt and nutritional yeast until a coarse mixture.
- Set aside.
Preparing the pasta
- While vegetables are roasting, cook pasta according to package instructions, al dente preferred.
- Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking pasta liquid that will form the sauce. Drain the Pasta.
- In a pan heat up butter and cooking oil.
- Once warm, add in minced garlic and cook for a minute on low heat.
- Now add in the pasta to the pan.
- Stir in the roasted vegetables into the pasta along with reserved cooking liquid, vegan parmesan, fresh basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, dried herb mix, fresh basil and chili flakes.
- Toss well to coat the pasta.
- Taste test the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Hands free Instant Pot method
- Follow instructions above for roasting vegetables and preparing parmesan.
For cooking pasta in Instant Pot –
- Switch on the Instant Pot on Saute mode.
- Add in the cooking oil and butter called for.
- Once warm add in the garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in pasta to the pot.
- Fill it with enough water just to barely cover the pasta.
TIP: For every cup of pasta use equal amount of water. (1:1) ratio.
- Sprinkle in some salt. (Remember we are not going to drain the pasta so use salt accordingly.)
- Cancel Saute mode.
- Add in the lemon zest, pepper, dried herbs, chili flakes.
- Close the lid and turn the black knob to SEALING position.
- Press MANUAL HIGH pressure, cook time 5 minutes.
- Once the pot beeps, perform QUICK RELEASE.
- This is done by placing a kitchen towel on the knob and carefully turn it to VENTING position to let off all the steam.
- Once the silver pin drops down it is safe to open the pot lid.
- Open the lid and stir rest of the ingredients to the pasta i.e Stir in the roasted vegetables into the pasta, vegan parmesan, fresh basil, lemon juice, fresh basil.
- Serve warm.
- Makes great leftover for the next day.
- Eat it warm or cold.
2nd option to cook Pasta in Instant Pot.
- Instead of oven roasted vegetables add the veggies directly in the Instant Pot right after covering the uncooked pasta with water. Then proceed as mentioned . The cooking steps will remain the same.
- Pro tip - If adding vegetables directly to the pot avoid using broccoli as it will turn into mush. You may use peas or sweet corn kernel instead. Cut veggies into bigger chunks.
Other vegetables that are great after roasting and adding to the pasta – asparagus, eggplant, cauliflower.
This roasted vegetable pasta tastes great warm or chilled.
Using the combination of an oven as well as Instant Pot is truly a hands-off process for making this pasta. How to make Pasta Primavera ahead of time tip – Cook pasta up to a day in advance. (Though I prefer freshly cooked pasta)
Make a big batch of vegan Parmesan and store in an airtight container in the fridge. It lasts for a long time as all dry ingredients are used.
Roasted vegetables stay great for 3-4 days in the fridge. Other Pasta recipes that you will love - Vegan Alfredo sauce pasta Quinoa pasta with arugula walnut pesto ( vegan + gluten free ) Vegan Skillet Ratatouille sauce pasta under 30 minutes
Are we friends yet . Let’s connect on-Facebook| Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter.
Happy cooking! Do share it with the world! Thanks for stopping by.
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVEYOURCRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
I like pasta food, because it is healthy and tasty recipe, Childrens are mostly like to eat pasta type recipe’s. Thank you for sharing tips for how we can make pasta very spicy and tasty. Really colorfull recipe also.
Just love these and I would love to grab one bowl.