Vegan stir fry veggies and tofu in homemade hoisin sauce makes a satisfying meal . Best served hot over noodles, rice or your choice of grain.
Hello all how are you guys doing? How is the holiday season treating you?
I know it’s been about 2 weeks that I have posted anything. This is because we have moved to a new city.
Packing up stuff , looking for a new apartment , touring schools for my son and following up countless stuff on the checklist is keeping me busy.
Amidst all this today I thought of making a quick comfort dish.
We love stir fry’s a lot. It’s a pretty simple meal to put up with loads of veggies and protein.
And this stir fry is Vegan and Gluten -free too.
It is one of our family favorite Asian dish – Stir fry in Hoisin sauce.
Assorted veggies and tofu tossed in homemade hoisin sauce .
Crunch from the veggies , protein filled tofu , little bit of kick from the hot sauce, quiet tangy , slightly sweet and plentiful flavors sums up this stir fry.
Serve it over noodles, rice , quinoa or even barley – choice is yours.
It’s quiet difficult to find vegan hoisin sauce . Some versions have fish sauce in them others may be high on msg.
If you are lucky to find one sans fish sauce and low msg then please stock it up. It’s really good to have this sauce handy for whipping quick meals.
And if you are interested to make it at home then I have two recipe options for you .
I use either of them depending on the ingredients at my disposal –
One uses black bean paste – I will link that at the end of the post and
Other one uses peanut butter instead – this is the one I have used for this recipe and it is mentioned below. It’s my go to recipe most of the time . Thanks to a friend of mine who suggested this easy substitute .
Vegan stir fry veggies and tofu in homemade hoisin sauce
- For making the sauce
- 4 tablespoons natural dark soy sauce/ tamari / coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Asian black bean paste optional
- 1 tablespoon agave or brown sugar *
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 2 tablespoon red chili sauce/sriracha or hot sauce of your choice
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 2 tablespoon water if sauce is too thick
- For stir fry
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil or cooking oil
- 1/4 cup White part of spring onions chopped
- 6 asparagus stems end chopped and cut diagonally
- ½ cup cubed bell peppers
- 12 french beans cut diagonally
- 1 carrot chopped into strips
- Handful of broccoli florets
- Handful of cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 4-6 oz i.e approx. ½ cup firm tofu pressed at least for 30 minutes to drain excess water and cut
- Salt to taste *
- 1/4 cup Green part of spring onions chopped.
- Roasted Sesame seeds for garnish.
- For the sauce
- Blend all ingredients called for the sauce in a blender until emulsified for 10-15 seconds.
- If mixing manually with a whisk then in a microwave melt peanut butter a bit so that it mixes easily with other ingredients.
- For the stir fry
- Heat oil in a pan/wok on medium high heat
- Add in the chopped spring onions and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in beans and carrots - saute for 1 minute.
- Add in peppers and saute for 30 seconds
- Add in asparagus and saute for a minute
- Add in the broccoli and saute for 30 seconds approx.
- Now toss in the cherry tomatoes and the sauce .
- Let the sauce come to a simmer.
- Fold in the pressed tofu .
- Add in water only if you think the sauce is too thick.
- Taste test and add in the salt.
- Adjust the seasoning and sauces according to your taste.
- Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds and green part of spring onions for additional flavor.
You may sub agave with honey.
Use vegetables of your choice.
Sub tofu with paneer if desired.
Serve warm over your choice of rice, noodles or quinoa .
The above recipe is lightly adapted from here.
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try.
I even vouch for this hoisin sauce made from fermented bean paste below if you can get your hands on some bean paste from Asian store. I have made it many times and it’s very yum too. Click here for the link .
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.
Are we friends yet . Let’s connect on-
Do share it with the world!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.