zero oil chickpeas pesto pasta salad
Zero oil flavorful salad which is a complete balanced meal on its own . This salad can be prepared ahead of time and perfect for office lunch, picnics and as a busy day meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- For the salad
- 1 cup Arugula / leafy greens of your choice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or veggies of your choice
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas cooked fresh or canned
- ½ cup desired uncooked pasta
- For the dressing
- 1.5 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup plain vegan yogurt of your choice
- 2 teaspoon Tahini optional
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice/ mild vinegar
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts/ walnuts
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard optional
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano optional
- ¼ cup or more almond milk/ milk of your choice to thin down the dressing as needed.
- Sat to taste
- Pepper to taste
Bring a pot of water to rolling boil and add some salt.
Cook the pasta al dente according to the package.
Drain and keep aside.
When the pasta is cooking , blend all ingredients called for the dressing and keep aside .
Place all ingredients called for the salad in a bowl.
Just before eating toss it in the dressing until well coated.
Start with half cup of dressing first and add more if desired.
Taste test and make any adjustments if needed.
Tahini is optional .
Sub Arugula with spring mix or your favorite leafy greens .
Sub tomatoes with chopped cucumber, celery, bell peppers, steamed broccoli , cauliflower or peas.
Use pasta of your choice or grains like quinoa / barley.
Use your choice of beans. Preferably home cooked but canned is fine too.
Sub almond milk with milk of your choice.
I have used Silk non dairy yogurt alternative – Plain almond yogurt. Use yogurt of your choice.
You may add a dash of hot sauce or chili flakes for some heat.
Skip mustard sauce if unavailable.
Any leftover dressing will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Pasta and chickpeas can be prepared up to 5 days ahead of time . Store it in the fridge until use.
This recipe serves 2 . But the quantities can be easily increased .
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 579mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 602IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 4mg