Mexican quinoa black bean enchilada casserole - Instant Pot & stovetop method
Mexican quinoa black bean enchilada casserole under 30 minutes for healthy delicious meal that your entire family can enjoy. Vegan and gluten free
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time8 mins
cooling time15 mins
Total Time18 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups Quinoa of choice*
- 2 cups vegetable broth/ water
- 1.5 cups enchilada sauce homemade or store bought
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato cubed *
- 1.5 cup sweet corn
- 1.5 cup bell peppers cubed
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes cubed
- 1.5 cups black beans home cooked or store bought canned (15 oz) drained and rinsed
- Fistful of cilantro chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced/ 1 heaped tablespoon ready garlic paste
- 1 jalepeno deseeded and finely chopped *
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne / choice of red chili powder / lal mirch
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
Toppings if desired
- Fresh lemon juice highly recommended
- Vegan sour cream highly recommended
- Vegan shredded cheddar cheese or of your choice
- Tortilla chips
Rinse quinoa several times with water if you aren’t using pre washed one.
Heat the Instant Pot on saute mode.
Add oil and wait for it to warm up , around 30 seconds.
Once warm add in the onions and saute for a minute. Now add in garlic and saute for 15 seconds.
Add in the quinoa followed by vegetable stock .
Top it with vegetables except cilantro .
Add in spices including a little salt and beans.
Give it a good mix.
Now add in the enchilada sauce and do not stir.
Press cancel on the IP.
Put the lid and knob to the SEALING position.
Now press Manual HIGH 3 minutes.
After the IP beeps let the pressure release naturally (NPR)
Once the pin drops after (15 minutes) turn the knob to venting and carefully open the IP.
Add in the cilantro and give the Quinoa casserole a quick mix and taste test for any seasoning.
At this point you may add cheese if desired so that it melts .
Serve warm with good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and desired toppings.
Homemade Enchilada sauce recipe here.
Check out Other Easy Instant Pot recipes here
Adjust spices like cayenne and jalepenos to your desired spice level . You may skip it if you don’t like heat in your food. Skip smoked paprika if unavailable and replace it with ¼ teaspoon cayenne .
My son loves sweet potatoes in everything that is why I have added here. You may do seasonal pumpkin or butternut squash cubes instead. Or even skip it totally.
If skipping the sweet potatoes, cooking time for this recipe will be Manual HIGH 2 minutes NPR.
Recipe for homemade vegan gluten free enchilada sauce here.
I have used pre washed organic quinoa blend .You may toast quinoa before adding the stock if you like it that way.
Suggested other vegetables that goes well with this recipe – Carrots, celery , mushrooms .
Make ahead of time quinoa casserole recipe that makes great office lunch . Enjoy hot or cold.
This recipe serves 8. You may halve or double up the recipe too.
This quinoa recipe freezes well.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 6g | Potassium: 582mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3950IU | Vitamin C: 41.1mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 3.6mg