Undhiyu recipe ( Mixed Vegetable curry ) Instant Pot
Make Surti or Kathyawadi undhiyu recipe using less oil in a pressure cooker. Tasty and quick recipe with tips on using seasonal or frozen vegetables.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Resting time15 mins
Total Time1 hr
For making Muthias ( Bhajiya / dumplings)
- ¾ cup besan
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 tablespoon rawa i.e semolina
- ½ cup packed methi leaves fresh fenugreek leaves finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- Pinch of turmeric haldi
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder lal mirch
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda see notes
- 1 tablespoon oil OR yogurt for oil-free muthiyas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed to make a soft dough
Vegetables used for Undhiyu
- 1 cup onion optional
- 2 teaspoon ginger (Freshly grated OR Paste)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic (Freshly grated OR Paste)
- 250 grams Surti Papdi OR Snow peas (Fresh OR Frozen approx. 4 cups packed )
- 1 plantain i.e raw banana
- 4 mini brinjals i.e eggplant
- 10 baby potatoes OR 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Tuvar lilva (Pigeon Pea OR Edamame
- 1 cup Green Peas or Vaal beans fresh or frozen
- 1 cup tightly packed Cilantro leaves i.e coriander roughly chopped.
- ½ cup tightly packed Methi leaves / fresh fenugreek leaves O frozen.
- ½ cup water for cooking.
Additional Spices Ingredients -
- 4 tablespoons Cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon Hing Asafetida
- ¼ teaspoon cumin jeera
- 1 tablespoon White sesame seeds i.e til
- 1 teaspoon Indian Red chili powder lal mirch
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric i.e haldi
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander powder i.e dhaniya powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice as needed before serving
Green Masala Ingredients that need to be coarsely grounded –
- 4 Thai green chilies or adjust to your spice level
- 1 cup tightly packed Cilantro leaves i.e coriander
- ¼ cup peanuts skinless roasted preferred
- ½ cup desiccated coconut unsweetened OR fresh OR frozen coconut
For making Muthiya
Mix all ingredients called to make muthiyas.
Slowly add in water to knead a soft sticky dough.
Now rub some oil on your palms and make lime size round dumplings.
Flatten dumplings a bit if cooking in in a appe pan.
For cooking muthiyas in PANIYRAM PAN (appe/ aebleskiever pan) (Oil free)
Heat the appe pan on medium heat.
Lightly grease each cavity of the appe pan.
Lower the temperature and cook the muthiyas covered flipping them half way.
Cook around 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown.
For making Green Masala -
Preparing vegetables for making Undhiyu
Cut baby potatoes into half or medium size potatoes into quarters.
Cut baby eggplants into half.
Wash, peel and cut plantain & sweet potatoes into approx. 1” cubes.
If using fresh Surti papdi or val papdi then wash them , remove the string from the ends and keep ready.
Pressure cooking Undhiyu in an Instant Pot-
Heat Instant Pot on Saute mode.
Add in oil.
Once warm add in hing, cumin , onion.
Sautee onions for 2 minutes.
Add in ginger garlic pate and saute for few seconds.
Now add in potatoes , sweet potatoes, plantain , green peas, lilva/ edamame
Add all the masala under “ Additional spices “ and half cup water.
Layer it with cilantro, fenugreek leaves and Surti papdi , Val papdi.
Add in coarsely grounded masala that we made.
Give it a good mix.
Now top it with muthiyas but DO NOT STIR.
Cancel Saute mode.
First option -
Press Manual LOW 5 minutes knob turned on SEALING position.
After the Instant Pot beeps, immediately perform a Quick Release by turning the knob to VENTING.
Once the silver pin drops down carefully open the pot and stir well.
Or second option you can do -
MANUAL HIGH 3 minutes. Natural Pressure release.
Check if the potatoes are done and give a taste test.
Serve hot with roti or puri.
Refer to FAQ's and solutions mentioned above in the post.
You can make Undhiyu with frozen Undhiyu Vegetable mix found in “frozen vegetables section” at Indian stores or with a combination of fresh and frozen vegetables.
For large parties and potluck you can increase the recipe with same cooking time.
Possible Substitutions -
If you do not have an Indian store around or vegetables are not in season then
What to serve with Undhiyu?
Undhiyu is served with Pooris and a side of Srikhand on festival & special occasions.
- Substitute Val papdi and Surti Papdi with snow peas.
- Sub tuvar lilva ( Pigeon peas ) with edamame.
- Substitute fenugreek leaves with 2 tablespoons dried kasoori methi in muthiyas. and skip methi leaves totally in the curry.
- Add purple yam ( ratalu) to the curry if available fresh or frozen otherwise substitute it with sweet potato.
For regular meals I prefer Undhiyu with Bajra rotla that make the complete meal Gluten-free or with simple rotis OR Methi theplas and chilled chaas ( buttermilk).
Can you freeze Undhiyu?
Yes , Undhiyu freezes well. It is a great make ahead of time dish for parties & potluck. Place it in air tight freezer friendly container and freeze up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge or over the counter or defrost in a microwave. Once thawed do not re freeze.
How to make Undhiyu in a stove top pressure cooker ?
- As Undhiyu freezes well, it is a great make ahead of time dish for parties & potluck.
- To save time you can prepare muthiyas , green masala for Undhiyu up to 2 days ahead of time. CStore it in the fridge.
- Use pre-cut frozen vegetable packets and frozen muthiyas to cater a large crowd.
- Follow the recipe and instructions above for layering. Cook for 2 whistles on medium heat (Not high) . Let the pressure release naturally before opening the cooker lid.
Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 96mg | Potassium: 944mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 361IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3mg