You are going to love this Aloo Palak gravy / Spinach Potato curry – Instant Pot Pressure cooker recipe that I am sharing today. Aloo Palak gravy is a popular North Indian curry in which Palak i.e Spinach is cooked with ginger, garlic, onions and very few spices to form the green curry base. The Spinach curry itself is very healthy and preferred for everyday meal menu plan .Traditionally Potatoes i.e Aloo is boiled separately and then added to this curry. Instant Pot or a stove top pressure cooker makes this Potato Spinach curry a breeze to make because of Pot in Pot method used. This means the entire curry is made in one go with only one pot to clean.
Aloo Palak is also a very popular item on any North Indian restaurant menu. In fact if you go to a Punjabi restaurant you will find many variations of this Spinach curry on the menu as Palak Paneer or Palak Tofu. Sometimes you will find Saag Aloo or Saag Paneer on the menu as well . But let me tell you that there is a very little difference between Saag and Palak.
So What is the difference between Saag and Palak ?
Palak mean Spinach alone and Saag refers to blend of mixed greens in addition to Spinach . Generally Mustard greens , batua , fenugreek leaves are used for saag. But these greens aren’t available in every country . In India these greens are available in abundance only in winter season . A blend of Collard greens , Kale and Spinach works well too.
How to eat Aloo Palak?
This Aloo Palak subzi is delicious on its own . A side of roti , naan , paratha or rice goes well with this Spinach Potato curry .
Can I leave Potatoes out?
If you are not a Potato fan then by all means you can leave it just enjoy the curry base. Or you may add Steamed vegetables , paneer or pressed firm tofu to this Spinach curry as well. This Indian green curry base is very versatile . I even like to add some boiled chickpea or black eyed beans to this Spinach gravy.
How to make this Indian Spinach Potato curry / Aloo palak gravy?
I am using my 6 qt Instant Pot to make this Aloo Palak recipe . Traditionally Spinach is blanched, pureed and then cooked with spices . Potatoes are separately boiled either in a pressure cooker or microwave.Call me lazy , I am a bit weary to wash so many pots and pans hence I make this curry in one shot in my Instant Pot. If you have a big stove top pressure cooker you may use that as well. This Indian Spinach Potato curry recipe simplifies all the steps going into making this side dish by using Pot in Pot method in the Instant Pot. I love shortcuts in my cooking and this Aloo Palak recipe tastes exactly the same as cooked the traditional way.
Why is this curry different than the original ?
No blanching needed.This Spinach recipe even uses limited spices but it is clean and big on flavor. Authentic Palak gravy recipe uses tomatoes as well .I skip it because it turns the gravy dark almost funny looking blackish green . A generous squeeze of lemon just before digging in also does the trick and you do not miss tomatoes . I have even added some sweetness in form of agave to this curry to cut off any bitterness of Spinach. Lastly, I have finished off this curry by adding some chickpea flour which is completely optional. This extra step gives some body to the Palak gravy and its not watery. You may skip this step but its highly recommended . You may even add some coconut milk for extra creamy texture.
Hope you like this recipe and give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions below in the comment section.
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE ? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe below to rate!!!
Aloo Palak gravy / Spinach Potato curry – Instant Pot Pressure cooker recipe –
Indian Aloo Palak / Spinach potato curry
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- 1 high foot instant pot trivet insert recommended for pot in pot cooking
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 18 oz i.e 2 package baby spinach or 2 bunches spinach bundle* 500 grams approx
- 7-8 red potatoes*
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil or ghee
- 1 cup chopped onions preferred red
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 heaped tablespoon minced garlic 6-7 cloves approx.
- 2 thai green chili deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon agave/ maple syrup or sugar add to cut bitterness
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi optional but recommended
- Salt to taste
To mix together for slurry
- 2 teaspoon Chickpea flour/ besan optional
- 1/4 cup milk of choice / water
- Rinse the Spinach if not using the pre washed pack.
- Wash potatoes well under cold tap water.
- Prick each potatoes 1-2 times with a knife and set aside.
- Switch on the Instant Pot on Saute mode.
- Add in oil.
- Wait for 30 seconds to warm up and then add cumin seeds and onions.
- Saute onions for 2 minutes or until translucent .
- Add in the ginger garlic green chilies and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in ¼ cup water now followed by the spices called for .
- Now slowly add in the spinach in batches.
- Press spinach down with the spoon so that it wilts and follow with more spinach until everything fits into the pot. It shouldn’t take more than a minute .
- Now place the long leng trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Add the potatoes in the Steam basket or another IP friendly bowl .
- Place it over the long trivet as shown in the pictorial method above.
- Press cancel to cancel Sautee mode.
- Close the IP with the lid , knob on SEALING position.
- Press MANUAL HIGH 3 minutes.
- Follow by natural pressure release (NPR)
- Once the pin drops down open the IP.
- Check if the potatoes are done by inserting knife. It should smoothly go through without resistance.
- Take out the steam basket and the trivet carefully with the help of kitchen cloth or pot holder .
- Now with the help of immersion blender blend the Spinach mixture until smooth.
- OR You may blend it in the pot blender after it cools down .
- Mix the chickpea flour with water to create a slurry and add to the curry. Stir well .
- Give a taste test and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add in kasoori methi and potatoes , mix well with the gravy.
- Switch on the IP on saute mode again and cover it with a simple lid .
- Let the gravy simmer for 2 minutes covered and the switch off the Instant Pot.
- Open the lid , give it a stir.
- Serve warm with roti or rice.
- Just before serving add in a splash of freshly squeezed lemon.
Love Spinach !! You might be interested in this lush green Palak Paneer/ tofu recipe given below –
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder. Carveyourcraving(at)gmail(dot)com .
Happy cooking!!!Do share it with the world!!!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.