Today I am excited to share another one of our house favorite Instant pot dessert – Instant Pot brownie cake / pressure cooker vegan chocolate brownies. These brownies are so easy to make with ingredients found at home . They are absolutely fudgy and oh so chocolaty. I have made these chocolate walnut brownies at home from scratch rather than using ready brownie mix. If you love using your Instant Pot / pressure cooker then try baking in it especially when you do not wish to turn your oven on during those super hot summer days. . This brownie recipe is egg free and dairy free too. Perfect treat for vegans, approved by non vegans . This brownie recipe is great for those who have egg , soy or dairy allergy.
I have made these brownies in my 6qt Instant Pot that doesn’t have a cake button. So yes you can very well bake in your pressure cooker without having a Cake Button option. We enjoy eating brownies warming it a bit in the microwave with a scoop of ice cream and more chocolate sauce. Heaven Heaven Heaven!!!
I am so happy with the response I got for my Instant Pot chocolate cake. Many of you have tried it with success and gave me a great feedback ! If you haven’t read that post I would recommend you quickly hover over this link and read about my trials and even get the recipe on the most delicious cake in Instant Pot .
If you have been following me you already know how much I love baking. My family loves to indulge in sweet treats especially baked goodies like cakes, brownies, cookies. When I moved to United States 10 years back I had no idea that getting egg free desserts would be so difficult. Here most of the restaurants or the bakeries do not have vegan or eggless options. Back in India every bakery had a section with wide variety of egg free as well as dairy free cakes. So when cravings strike I gotta do something right! And this is the main reason I started baking at home. And I am glad I did because it’s so therapeutic and absolutely a breeze when you have the right set of recipes. Recipes that actually work . After a lot of trials and testings I decided to share them with you so that you do not have to go through the hassle of experimenting or get disappointed by failure.
Baking in a pressure cooker isn’t a new thing for me. In-fact back in India many households do not own an oven. They bake in a traditional stove top pressure cooker. back in the days my aunt used to make delicious cakes for us in a pressure cooker itself. I have baked cakes and brownies in a stove top pressure cooker . But now that I have an Instant Pot I started baking in it since last year. It’s very easy and yields delicious results.
Coming back to the recipe for these vegan chocolate walnut brownies in Instant Pot.
They are fudgy dense and are rich in chocolate flavor. The secret to deepen the chocolate flavor is to add coffee.
The only downside of making brownies in the instant Pot is that it doesn’t develop a flaky crust. If you are a sucker of crusty brownies then feel free to bake them in your oven.
I have used apple sauce in this recipe as it makes these brownies moist . Feel free to sub it with non dairy yogurt or flaxseed meal.
Other brownie recipes that might interest you are-
Below is a short pictorial on how to prepare a pan for baking in Instant Pot.
Hope you like this recipe on Instant Pot brownie cake / pressure cooker vegan chocolate brownies and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Love being here , don’t miss a single recipe- Subscribe now – it’s free and get every recipe in your inbox.Subscription box is on the home page and below every recipe post.If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page CarveYourCraving in messages section or tag me @carveyourcraving on Instagram.
Instant Pot brownie cake / pressure cooker vegan chocolate brownies
For preparing coffee
- 2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/3rd cup almond milk or milk of your choice
For preparing the add on
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose flour for coating the walnuts
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon vegan granulated sugar
- 1/3rd cup oil or melted butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start by preparing the pan . I have used Fat Dadio's 6" metal .
- As shown in the picture we need to make a foil sling for easy handling of the pan in and out of the IP as well as a foil cover for the pan so that the water doesn't drip in the pan.
- For the Foil sling tear a 24 " long foil and fold it twice lengthwise as shown in the picture to create a broad belt enough to pick up the pan .
- Now that the sling and pan cover is ready , prepare the pan by brushing some oil on the base and sides of the pan and then dusting it with flour. This is done so that the cake doesn't stick to the pan and can be removed easily. Cut a round parchment paper to go onto the base of the pan.
- Mix coffee granules , milk and microwave for 1 minute or simmer on stovetop until coffee is dissolved. Keep it aside.
- Mix the walnuts with 1 teaspoon flour and keep aside.
- In a medium size bowl sift all purpose flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl add in sugar, applesauce , hot coffee, vanilla , oil and mix well with a spoon until combined and sugar is fairly dissolved .
- Now pour the mixture over dry ingredients and fold everything with a spoon until mixed and lump free.
- 45-50 strokes only so do not over mix .
- Now fold in the walnuts and stir until combined.
- Brownie batter is always thicker than cake batter.
- Scoop the batter in the prepared pan and level it on the top with the back of the spoon.
- Tap the pan on the kitchen counter twice to get rid of air bubbles if any.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the inner pot .
- Place the trivet and then lower down the pan inside the pot with the help of prepared sling.
- Close the Instant Pot, knob turned to SEALING position.
- Press MANUAL HIGH 30 minutes
- After the IP beeps, let NPR for 15 minutes and then quick release if the pin doesn’t drop.
- Once the pin drops, slowly open the IP lid and take out the pan holding the sling.
- Uncover, Insert a toothpick and check for the doneness.
- The brownies are done when it leaves the sides, dry to touch on the top and toothpick comes with few crumbs.
- Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Then run a knife to loosen the edges and invert the brownie onto the cooling rack.
- Let it cool down completely before cutting.
- If you want clean edges then you may even rest the brownies covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours or overnight before cutting .
For making vegan chocolate cake in Stove top Pressure cooker –
Ingredients as mentioned above for a 6″ pan.
Follow instructions up to mixing the batter.
Take out the gasket ring and whistle of the pressure cooker.
Preheat the cooker by placing 1/2 cup of salt inside the cooker . Then put a trivet/ cooker stand inside the pressure cooker and put the lid on .Let the cooker preheat on high for 15 minutes. Place the cake pan carefully inside the cooker, close it with the cooker lid having no whistle or gasket ring on.Or alternatively use a steel lid to cover the cooker. Bake for 28-30 minutes on low flame , checking at 28 minute mark until the a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with few crumbs or bake for extra few minutes. For Stove top pressure cooker you do not require a foil cover or sling . Just use a pot holder to place the cake inside the cooker.
Pre heat oven to 350 deg F/ 180 degree C.
Bake the prepared batter in a 7″ square pan by double lining it. For details on how to prepare the pan for baking refer to my brownie post here.
Bake for 28-35 minutes until the a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with few crumbs . Check at 28 minute mark.
Pin this recipe for later.
Happy cooking!Do share it with the world! Thanks for stopping by.
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVEYOURCRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.