Forget gobi and paneer manchurian for a moment and make way for this uber delicious no fry vegan mushroom manchurian – indo chinese. I am so excited to share this one with you today , the best ever Manchurian till date . Seriously guys the best healthier Manchurian recipe I have ever made. It’s not deep-fried but crispy in every bite . Absolutely a must try if you like making healthier recipes without compromise on deliciousness .
Makes an excellent appetizer and even if you make it ahead of time , it still remains yum until serving . Please go through the entire post for tips , tricks and the recipe.
So yesterday I got this big pack of baby Portobello mushrooms . And I had this idea on my mind forever about making mushroom Manchurian . But as you know I can never think straight. I have successfully reduced deep frying , everything I make which needs frying is baked or made in my favorite appe pan now. If you are following me , then you already know how much I love the brilliant appe pan. So I had to make these mushrooms in the appe /ebelskiver pan 🙂
I absolutely vouch for it , but if you do not own one , you can bake them too .
They are saucy , crunchy , spicy – i mean full of freaking flavors.
The star of the recipe – Mushrooms!!!
Clean your mushrooms nicely before using. Never I mean never soak or rinse them. Mushrooms are like sponges. They will absorb anything and you do not want watery , slimy end product.
To make your life easier , here is a link – how to perfectly clean mushrooms .
I like to damp a wash cloth and rub the mushrooms gently. I even use a clean toothbrush which I keep exclusively only for cleaning food’s to gently rub off the dirt if any.
If you do not have baby portobello mushrooms , feel free to use your favorite. Quarter it up if you are using big ones. I thought baby mushrooms just fit perfectly in my appe pan .
I have marinated the mushrooms (optional) but remember I said mushroom are like sponges.. they just become so much more flavorful on marinating.
Threw in some colorful peppers and onions as you do for classic manchurian .
Set up a coating work station – this does the trick guys!
Easy steps below making a great outcome .
Step 1 -Put on some music
Step 2 – dust each mushroom with cornflour .
Step 3- Dunk it in flaxseed meal slurry .
Step 4- Coat it well with the panko bread crumbs .
Step 5 – keep aside on a large plate .
Don’t get paranoid if you do not have flaxseed meal or panko bread crumbs. I have mentioned all the substitutes in the notes below.
Covered mushrooms all set to be appe fried .
Crunchy munchy mushrooms!!
At this point you can transfer the cooked mushrooms in an airtight container after completely cooled and covered with sealed plastic wrap . It will stay good for upto 2 days. Isn’t that a good news for a coming up party!!!
or make it right away like I did –
Tossed in the sauces and Bammmmm!!
You might like the Hariyali kebabs as well – click here for the link
Enjoy the recipe 🙂
No fry vegan mushroom manchurian - indo chinese
- 160 grams/ 15 cleaned Portobello mushrooms
- 100 grams other veggies like onions mixed bell peppers cubed
- 5 spring onions white part finely chopped or ½ cup chopped any onions
- 1 chilly deseeded and roughly sliced optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- For marinating
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce / chilly sauce
- Dash of pepper
- For coating
- 4 tablespoon corn flour / corn starch
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal *
- 7 tablespoon warm water
- 8 tablespoon or more panko bread crumbs *
- For the sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup *
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce / chilly sauce of your choice
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar *
- ½ teaspoon corn starch / corn flour
- ¼ cup water
- 2 pinches pepper
- For the garnish
- Fistful of chopped green part of spring onions
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Marinate the mushrooms in the mentioned ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Meantime add the flaxseed meal to the warm water . Mix it well and let it stand for 2 minutes.
- It will thicken up like a gel .
- Now mix all ingredients called for the sauce in a bowl and keep it ready.
- Now prepare your dipping station for coating the marinated mushrooms as shown and explained above in the post.
- Heat the appe pan / ebelskiver pan on low medium heat. I set it at 3 . Brush it lightly with oil .
- Place the coated mushrooms in the pan and cook 8-10 minutes each side until a bit brown and tender .
- Repeat for other batches.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, In a non stick pan or a wok add 1 tablespoon cooking oil.
- Once heated add in the chopped spring onions , let it cook for 1 minute until translucent and soft.
- Now add in the ginger and garlic , saute it for 20 seconds.
- Add in the cubed veggies. Cook them for 30 seconds.
- Now add in the sauce mixture , stirring continuously as it tends to splutter.
- Cook it for 30 seconds.
- Now add in the mushrooms and mix it gently until well coated with sauce .
- Taste test and add salt only if needed. I did not add any.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds and green part of spring onions for garnish.
- Enjoy it hot and guilt free!
Use chilly sauce of your choice . I have used siracha
Use toasted bread crumbs or mix of fresh bread crumbs and raw/semolina to substitute panko
Substitute flaxseed meal slurry with equal mix of corn starch and all purpose flour/ maida slurry. 2 tablespoon each with some water to form a thin coating batter.
Spice level of this recipe is 4 on 5 , 5 being hot.
Adjust spice accordingly
Don’t have a ebelskiver / appe pan – then bake it
Place it on pan covered with foil and lightly sprayed .
Bake it on middle rack on 400 deg f / 200 deg c for 15 -20 minutes , flipping midway until lightly brown .
Care for a bite!!
Pin this for later.
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try.
Do not miss a single recipe by subscribing to my blog and following me on my facebook pagecarveyourcraving . I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me onPinterest .
We are now on instagram too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.