Vegan Thai pineapple rice because Friday night dinner’s have to be amazing quick and delish!!!. One of the yummiest ways to use up leftover rice or a reason to make more rice to turn into this good stuff. While I was making this stir fry it occurred to me I haven’t shared a single rice recipe since I have started blogging. This is kind of funny as rice preparations is a regular affair at my place. And using up any leftover rice is more exciting and no wastage or throwing away. For me planning what will go on the blog seldom materializes. Most of my cooking is on the spot and if I get a chance to click , then that is my lucky day . I am kind of getting over my hesitation to click under artificial light, though I wish to improve on that. Because at the end of the day sharing is more important. That means I will keep sharing more exciting dinner’s.
What I love about this recipe is –
The flavors are so balanced . It has everything that one will want to have on his plate . You have a bite and you feel whoa – perfectly paired everything. The sweet and tangy pineapples, the kick of spices , lightly sautéed veggies and roasted cashews give the perfect crunch and completed with aromatic herbs like cilantro and basil.
And it doesn’t use any fish sauce or eggs making it vegan – yayyyy!!!!
I have used my homemade vegan thai red curry paste which is so yum and make ahead of time recipe that just makes my life easier . Recipe link given at the end . I have cooked this rice in coconut oil and canola oil mix . The coconut oil really pulls the flavors together .
Pineapple rice is one of our favorite orders at the restaurants. Make sure you mention no eggs or fish sauce if you are a vegan . I love the way they serve it in pineapple shells. I tried doing it once and instead of a 20 minutes it took me over 2 hours. Lol , I need to work on my pineapple cutting skills .
If you plan to buy entire pineapple here is a fantastic video to refer – how to cut pineapple at home.
I do buy whole pineapples most of the times. But for really express dinner’s I pop up canned ones too . Feel free to use any but do use pineapples.
About the veggies and rice used
Use short grain or long grain , doesn’t matter much . Preferably use leftover cold rice or cook rice al dente then cool it in a large dish . Best is rice sitting in your refrigerator for 3-4 hours . This is needed for the perfect stir – fry rice texture .
Veggies used – peas , broccoli , carrots , bell peppers , spring onions and canned sliced water chestnuts.
Other veggies that go well with this rice are bamboo shoots , baby corn , cauliflower , bok choy to name a few .
And tofu would be a lovely addition too .
Thai curry paste used
Use store bought thai curry paste. Make sure to go through the paste ingredients as it may contain fish sauce.
Do check out my home made easy thai curry paste recipe which is so easy to make , store and will last you long. I bet after you try it you will never buy it from store again.
Below is a quick step by step pictorial followed by the recipe .
Vegan Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon veg/canola oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil*
- 5 cups cooked rice preferably cold or leftover
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated garlic
- 1 /2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1.5 cups pineapple chunks canned or fresh
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoon Thai curry paste homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup roasted unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup frozen peas *
- ½ cup bell peppers chopped
- ¼ cup spring onion chopped
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- 1 small head broccoli florets
- 1 small can water chestnut / 1 cup approx
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fistful of chopped coriander
- Fistful of chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a wok / large pan .
- Once hot add in grated ginger and garlic . Sautee it for 15 seconds .
- Then add in the vegetables in the following order First goes in the veggies that will take long to cook followed by the veggies that cook quickly in 30 seconds interval. For me it was carrots first , then broccoli , then bell peppers , followed by peas and spring onion and lastly water chestnut.
- Now add in the thai curry paste, soy sauce , turmeric , salt, pepper , pineapple juice . Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the pineapple chunks . Now toss in the rice . Cook it for 30 seconds .
- Fold in the cashews , add in chopped coriander and basil . Switch off the flame .
- Taste test and make adjustments if desired.
Use a total of 3 – 3.5 cups veggies of your choice , a list of veggies is mentioned above.
If you do not have coconut oil substitute it with equal amount of veg / peanut / sesame oil
Increase spice by adding more thai curry paste or red chilly powder
Basil really brings out the flavor, if unavailable just add more coriander.
I have used frozen peas which softens quickly . If using fresh peas quick steam before adding or add prior to other veggies as it takes time to cook them.
Do not overcook the veggies , keep the crunch intact .
Homemade vegan thai red curry paste link given above.
Tips on rice to be used mentioned above
You may like the following recipes –
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me on Pinterest .
We are now on instagram too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.