This homemade cherry cake – vegan poke cake recipe is made with delicious homemade vanilla cake sponge and filled generously with vegan cherry pie filling which is homemade from scratch as well. Moreover it is topped with delicious coconut based cool whip. Every bite of this cake is an explosion of fruity tropical flavor. Don’t let this cherry season pass by without making this easy moist cherry cake!
And if you crave for this cake when cherries aren’t in season then feel free to use frozen pitted cherries or store bought organic cherry pie filling. Either ways this cake is truly a “cherry on the top ” worthy recipe!!
Why poke cake ?
Because they are super simple to make .You do not need any special tools or training to whip one.
Poke cakes are way delicious , moist and take less time to put up. The beauty of poke cake is that everything is done in one pan. Meaning no unmolding or leveling the cake is required . You don’t even have to worry about the finesse or decoration. Just layer everything in the same pan and walk into the party with confidence knowing that you are going to walk home all empty . You just need to worry about handling all the compliments that you will get at the party
Poke cakes are a great crowd pleaser too.Hence it makes an ideal choice for parties, pot lucks.
Poke cakes are my go to cakes to impress a large crowd without spending hours in the kitchen.
How do I make this poke cake?
Bake a cake following my vegan vanilla cake recipe or your favorite cake mix.
While it is still warm poke large holes using back of a wooden spoon or a rolling pin.
Fill it in with this delicious homemade vegan cherry pie filling – see notes for the recipe.
Top it with some creamy whip. I have used store bought coco whip (frozen dessert). You may choose to make your own coconut cool whip/ whipped cream topping.
Add blobs of cherry pie filling on the top of the cream and swirl it roughly.
Place it in the fridge for 4-5 hours to set . Enjoy it chilled straight out of the fridge.
What is great about this poke cake?
For the vanilla cake base I have used a super simple vegan recipe adapted from one of my most popular cake recipe i.e eggless vanilla cake recipe.
The filling truly creates a magic!! I have used my homemade cherry pie filling recipe to fill in this poke cake. I pulsed the filling to form a smooth paste so that it seeps in the holes well. It makes the cake super moist and just melt in mouth.
For topping I have used ready-made coconut whip . You may choose to make your own coconut whipped cream.
I am really obsessed with these effortless poke cakes.
Fruit based cakes are so refreshing especially during the summer. You may double the recipe to cater a large crowd too.
Other poke cake recipe that you may like –
Given below is the recipe on how to make a vegan cherry poke cake followed by important notes and substitutes . Hope you like it and give this cake a try!
Previously published on August 24 , 2018. Republished on May 17th 2019.
Cherry poke cake
Flaxseed meal egg
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons All purpose flour 184 grams
- 2 tablespoons Corn starch* 18 grams
- ¾ cup Raw sugar* 161 grams
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/3 rd cup flavorless oil* 102 ml
- ¾ cup Non-dairy yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon White distilled vinegar *
- 3 tablespoons water
For cherry pie filling
Store-bought coconut whipped cream topping*
- 14 0z coconut whipped cream
Prepare the flaxseed meal egg
- Mix the flax meal well with warm water until combined. Keep aside for 3 minutes.
In the meantime do the following-
- Preheat oven to 180C /350 f for 15 minutes.
- Now prepare the pan by greasing a 7*11 glass pan with oil and dust it with flour. Keep aside
- Using a electric beater with balloon whisk attachment cream the sugar and yogurt until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add oil and vanilla extract and whip well until oil is emulsified i.e completely blended.
- Add in the prepared flaxseed meal egg .
- In another bowl sift all remaining dry ingredients and give it a quick mix.
- Now, slowly add sifted flour and fold into the wet ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients in the wet ones with a hand whisk or with an electric one / stand mixer until lump free and smooth.
- Do not over mix.
- Add 1-2 tablespoon more water if needed. Batter should be medium consistency.
- Pour the batter onto the baking dish and bake on the middle rack for 30-32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
For cherry pie filling
- Refer to the notes for the recipe.
- Just pulse the filling in the blender for a coarse paste so that it seeps in the poked holes well.
Now assembling the cake
- The cake is out of the oven let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Now while it is still warm poke even holes with the back of a wooden spoon at equal intervals.
- Pour the cherry filling over the cake making sure it seeps in through the holes.
- Refer to the pictorial above.
- Let the cake cool down completely with the cherry filling before putting a layer of coconut frosting on it.
- Place blobs of whipped coconut frosting all over the top of the cherry filling layer and spread it with back of a spoon or offset spatula.
- You may further decorate it with drops of cherry filling and running a fork for abstract design on the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours preferably overnight to let it set .
- Top it with fresh cherries if desired and consume within 2 days.
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder. Carveyourcraving(at)gmail(dot)com .
Happy cooking!Do share it with the world!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.