Have you imagined biting into soft clouds , this Stabilized whipped cream/ white chocolate mousse frosting feels exactly the same. It’s not too sweet , airy , fluffy , mouth melting frosting which is super easy to make. The secret of richness of this frosting is White Chocolate. Call it as white chocolate mousse or stabilized whipped cream , this two ingredient frosting is heavenly and super simple to make. It requires only cream and chocolate. We are not using sugar or any essences as chocolate imparts a great flavor. However feel free to use them .
The major problem that is faced while using whipped cream frosting is that how to keep it firm throughout the process of decorating . It can be really challenging working with whipping cream especially when it’s real whipping cream and not the non dairy topping like Rich or troplite which are pretty sturdy.
Imagine the frustration when you fail to get desired results . You have thought of a beautiful cake with this light and gorgeous whipped cream topping and it just melts and melts and become a liquid mess. So upsetting right.
I have got request from many of my reader’s asking me to do a post on a frosting which is not as sweet as buttercream.
Buttercream is undoubtedly the best when it comes to complex designs. It is very forgiving and pipes beautifully. You can say it’s baker’s best friend . But at the same time it is much sweeter than stabilized whipped cream/ white chocolate mousse frosting .
You can find easy buttercream recipe here – click here for the link.
Stabilized whipped cream can be achieved more than one way-
The most common one used by bakeries is gelatin . And I highly doubt they go for vegetarian one’s . It’s the easiest way of stabilizing whipped cream .
The second one is cornstarch/arrowroot mixture
thirdly corn syrup
fourthly – using non dairy ready whip powders
Various other hybrid frostings etc.
And the richest and yummiest way is adding White Chocolate – which I will be sharing with you today.
Using Stabilized whipped cream/ white chocolate mousse frosting suggestions
Any fruit cake
The classic black forest or white forest cake
Tea time cakes
Simple cupcake designs like a swirl
frosting and filling any cake with simple designs
top it up on your favorite desserts, sundaes , waffles, pancakes.
pipe it in shot glasses or bowls and serve it as white chocolate mousse with toppings of your choice.
Unlike buttercream , whipped cream frosting is highly perishable .
Always store the frosting and the cakes made with the frosting in the refrigerator .
Shelf life of cake frosted with Stabilized whipped cream/ white chocolate mousse frosting is 3-5 days
Frosting alone can be stored in the fridge for 3- 5 days . But I suggest piping/ frosting within 2 days of setting in the fridge as whipped cream may loose its fluffiness .
Once you taste this heavenly frosting you will be a convert forever .
Given below is step by step pictorial of the making followed by the recipe .
Some important points to note –
Use good quality white chocolate
Use cream with 36% or more fat content
follow the instructions well
At no point water should touch this cream in making. Take care while melting chocolate or it will seize and render useless.
You can melt chocolate double boiler method or microwave.
White chocolate tends to burn fast, so take care.
Do not over whip , stop at semi firm peaks to be safe, the cream will stiffen after setting in the fridge.
It can be easily tinted in your favorite color . Fold in color before setting the prepared whipped cream in the fridge for good results .
In between frosting if you feel the frosting is melting which won’t happen unless you are working under very warm conditions , do return it to the fridge for few hours and then start working again.
Do not get nervous with all the tips, it’s very easy and yummiest frosting and do give it a try.
Stabilized whipped cream/ white chocolate mousse frosting
- For melting part
- 8 oz / 230 grams good quality white chocolate
- ½ cup / 120 ml heavy cream
- For whipping part
- 1 cup / 240 ml heavy cream in addition that will be whipped .
- Break/ chop chocolate in small pieces.
- Combine chocolate and cream in a microwave proof bowl .
- Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute , stopping and stirring at 15 second intervals until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- It will look yellow , but will turn white after whipping later.
- Place a cling wrap on top of the chocolate and keep it aside until the mixture has cooled to room temperature , say 15-20 minutes.
- Meantime whip remaining chilled cream to soft peaks using a whipper attachment/ balloon whisk.
- Scoop a cup of the whipped cream into cooled white chocolate mixture as shown above in the picture and fold it gently until blended well.
- Now add the chocolate mixture to prepared whipped cream and beat it until stiff peaks . Beat until you see nice visible cream streaks. Do not over beat as it will turn into butter and turn useless.
- This cream will further set well in the fridge.
- Cover and chill the whipped cream in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight before frosting. Frost immediately after taking out from the fridge.
This is how used it for Christmas – Made a cute snow globe cake – find recipe and process by clicking here .
other alternative to Stabilized whipped cream/ white chocolate mousse frosting is whipped white chocolate ganache – recipe link – click here
hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes make sure you click pictures of your hard work and do drop in a feedback below and pictures on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section.
Do share it with the world !
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving on any other platform is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.